Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Time Cooking Lamb Chops

A local butcher had a sale on lamb chops and a friend said he'd ordered me some.  I maybe have eaten lamb chops once in my life and have never cooked lamb.  Anyways, I thought why not.  I used this marinade from amazingribs.com.  In a cook of firsts, I figured I'd try my hand at a reverse sear on these chops.  I used some local cherry wood for the smoke.  I brought the egg up to about 245 (indirect) and cooked the chops until they hit 120.  This took about 20 minutes.  I then removed the conveggtor and cooked direct for about 90 seconds a side.  I removed, rested and devoured.  I may be a bit biased, but I thought they were cooked pretty good for a first time.  Next time I'd want them a little closer to rare.  I don't know why I waited so long to cook lamb chops, but I know they will be a staple now.  They were flavorful and tender.  The marinade added a lot of flavor but did not overpower.  Thanks for looking.
Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,982
    Great cook and result right there.  Congrats.  Way to nail it.

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 11,112
    Outstanding 
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,726
    Lamb chops are great - and you have discovered the secret. Don't overcook them. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • kaybeekaybee Posts: 120
    That's a beauty. Looks like you got a perfect reverse sear there.
  • bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,172
    Those look mighty nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,262
    Great job. For rare pull closer to 110 and on a reverse sear there is no need to rest. 
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, Smobot, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,355
    Yes sir!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,481
    Lamb chops are the bomb.  Nice cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnypjohnnyp Posts: 3,237
    looks like your crushed it.  great job
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bikesAndBBQbikesAndBBQ Posts: 215
    GrillSgt said:
    Great job. For rare pull closer to 110 and on a reverse sear there is no need to rest. 
    Thanks for the tips!  This one, in my opinion, was on the medium side of medium rare. I prefer the rare side of medium rare if that makes sense. I will try 110 next time. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • bikesAndBBQbikesAndBBQ Posts: 215
    kaybee said:
    That's a beauty. Looks like you got a perfect reverse sear there.
    Thanks!  I'm excited to try a reverse sear on a NY Strip. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE