Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For Sale - Used Half Stone Plate Setters

Options
I have a gently used BGE plate setter double half stone edition. 

Very rare piece. No warranty. Asking $500. Will trade for BGE chiminea. 

Upgraded to the one I found in my dad's garage (guy has had his Egg two years and never used it, I'm guessing it will be 18 months before he comes looking for it)

Then went to pick up my warrantied firebox. Bruce hooked me up quick and easy. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Think I'll pass, but your accident with that style ps lifter is the first time I think I've heard of it breaking one. Any idea why and any suggestion to help other eggers' ps from meeting the same fate? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    Options
    Hate that for you. Those lifters looked suspect to me and now I have proof. I'm sticking with the 1000 degree gloves. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @RRP it was a straight panic moment. 

I was watering newly newly seeded grass and reverse searing a ribeye. All of a sudden I saw a rush of water coming toward it downhill from the concrete and fear of it popping like a grenade I picked it up very fast with one hand and BAM. 

But @DoubleEgger I got that thing last week. I only moved it twice. I did not care for it either time I did it correctly. Felt...suspect. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    Options
    My XL PS has a hairline crack in it and it's been that way for years. I'd never want to stress a hairline crack by using a lifting tool with a single pick point. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My XL PS has a hairline crack in it and it's been that way for years. I'd never want to stress a hairline crack by using a lifting tool with a single pick point. 
    Mines been cracked for a while too. Damn thing refuses to break all the way, despite my repeated warnings that it'll be replaced by an AR. Damnit. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mine had a crack in it, which revealed itself after removing the foil I had placed on it for protection. I began handling it very carefully, and eventually, it broke on the fault line.
    I took it to the dealer showed him the PS, and he hooked me up immediately.
    This is one of the many reasons I own a BGE. The warranty has been exceptional for me.
    Better luck on the new one. As Michael had mentioned previously the plate setter is a frail piece to work with, and when hot lifting from a single point adds stress to any existing hairline crack, making it almost enviable.
    I, too, use the gloves.
    Two types of plate setters out there; cracked plate setters, and plate setters that are going to crack.
    Glad you are re loaded and ready.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    A plate setter came with my first large egg.  I didn't like messing with the grill, drip pan, and then the plate setter when needing access to the lump, so bought a PSWoo2.  Great decision ... very safe tool to handle all of the hot components and keep them together as a unit.  Not very fancy, but it's very practical.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Jeepster47 I've been looking at them this week. Trying to figure out what setup would be a good solution. 

I wish there was a way to combine the pswoo and the adjustable rig. (Or have a woo with 2 and a half levels of cooking for when I do tailgating food for the masses...just load up with wings and poppers and toss back in)

South of Nashville, TN

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My XL stone started to chip. Fortunately it was under warranty. I turned the old XL plate setter into a stone for the large egg:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit ... look at the first picture in the following thread.  With an oval stone and an AR crossbar, you can have a poor man's AR.  Add a PSWoo2 extension or a Smokeware Grate Staker and you almost have an adjustable rig.

• Jeepster47
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit ... Don't use paperclips to attach threads ... staple them to make sure they stay.  Try to attach this thread one more time:

eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180892/plate-setter-options/p1

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Jeepster

I've heard about problems adding lump, but how long do you cook to need to add lump?
    Cooking on the coast
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Jeepster

I've heard about problems adding lump, but how long do you cook to need to add lump?
    @BikerBob ... depends on how much lump you started with and what temp you're cooking at.  Kind of like; "how much altitude do you need to do an outside loop ..."

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I SWEAR by my PS Woo for the Large Egg. That's a Woo that the platesetter fits into and you remove it by lifting it out by the Woo handles and placing it somewhere safe. It's a simple and genius method.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Alright, alright already...

I'll add the PSWoo to the list and jerry rig something for additional layers. Half Finished Table gets priority (my Egg is in a Nest on a concrete pad right now so with the storms coming through Nashville this afternoon in I have staked it down and put cushions all around it as a precaution...but I'm getting a little terrified that it's going to fall over before I get it in a table)

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Mines been cracked for a while too. Damn thing refuses to break all the way, despite my repeated warnings that it'll be replaced by an AR. Damnit. 
    You will just loose it. Tie a string around it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow