Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip Question

Options
So I am finally going to cook a tri-tip! I have been looking at the Forum and I think I will do a reverse sear. Put it on at around 225 until it reaches 110 then bring it up to 500 for a sear about 3 min per side. Just wondering how long I should expect the cook to take, it is a 4 pound roast.
Thanks! 

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Takes me about 25 mins for a 3 lb, but has been as short as 22 and as long as 30. Plan accordingly. Others here will say not to, but I finish on another grill. You have already imparted max flavor with the egg and are only looking for char. I really don't think it matters if you finish over charcoal or gas. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    So I am finally going to cook a tri-tip! I have been looking at the Forum and I think I will do a reverse sear. Put it on at around 225 until it reaches 110 then bring it up to 500 for a sear about 3 min per side. Just wondering how long I should expect the cook to take, it is a 4 pound roast.
    Thanks! 
    Question, do you like your beef on the rare side? 110?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Thanks! 
    This. A sear at the end isn't going to boost your internal very much. I'd say 120 as an absolute minimum, and I'd even consider 125-129. Anything less that that on a reverse sear is likely to end up with a nice crust around "Blue" beef. Fine for those that like it that way, but can be a real surprise for those that aren't prepared.

Whole purpose of a reverse sear is that it is so easy to control the internal temp.
    South SLO County
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Thanks! 
    This. A sear at the end isn't going to boost your internal very much. I'd say 120 as an absolute minimum, and I'd even consider 125-129. Anything less that that on a reverse sear is likely to end up with a nice crust around "Blue" beef. Fine for those that like it that way, but can be a real surprise for those that aren't prepared.

Whole purpose of a reverse sear is that it is so easy to control the internal temp.
    Agreed, I'm in the pull @ 130-135 camp the reverse sear to 139ish. I like my tip cooked.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Canadian_Egghead
    Options
    Ok, Thanks for the input! I will bring it up perhaps to that 125-130 range.
  • Canadian_Egghead
    Options
    So I guess with that in mind, how long do you think that would take for the 4 lb tip?

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    133 is my magic number 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I seldom time my reverse sears, but I think it's around an hour or so for 3.5 untrimmed. Allow a little bit more, but I'd be surprised if it took over an hour and 15 minutes as long as you have a good, stable fire established before you start (not still climbing in temp). Allow 10-15 for it to get to 500+ degrees and reasonably stable. It's EASY to go full nuclear if you open everything up and have a load of lump and good airflow. Be careful. On the other hand if you are in a hurry, you can probably get it to that temp in just a couple of minutes.
    South SLO County
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    At 225 for the indirect portion, I think it will take a lot longer than an hour. I did 3.5 lb SRF cowboy ribeye and that part took 2 hrs at that temp. You also won't get much carryover cooking at that temp. If you want the first portion to take an hour, you may need to go 325 plus in my opinion. Either way you're going to be eating well. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Thanks! 

Agreed, I'm in the pull @ 130-135 camp the reverse sear to 139ish. I like my tip cooked.
    Yup, tri tip in abundance in California and IMHO I like it done ...its the one cut I go by feel, a bit firm to the touch and Tri Tip likes a rest...I do 10 @ a time foill pan and off to the cambro for am hour
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canadian_Egghead
    Options
    thanks for all the advice!!
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    etherdome said:
    133 is my magic number 
    133 on ribeyes- dynamite everytime!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It'll take about an hour. I take it to 125 then sear. Did one last night and it was perfect. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA