Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Stupid decision-YETI..... customer service

billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,680
My wife purchased me a YETI cooler for my birthday last year and I have loved it at the lake...

it does hold ice longer, and is incredibly durable, and will prohibit any bears from enjoying my ice cold miller lites at Lake Sinclair...besides, who wants to be responsible for getting Yogi and Boo-boo drunk..

Anywho..I digress..

When the cooler was purchased it has a sticker on the front that stated "Remove after purchase." I noticed right away that this sticker was put on with something to the likes of a JB Weld and left it alone.

A few weeks ago, I don't know what got into me but i wanted that damned sticker off the front of my cooler. I mean hey..."remove after purchase" right..?

Well, after "Goof Off", "Purple Power", "Windex", paint thinner...i moved to a buffing wheel and a carnuba wax..

After two hours, this is what my YETI looked like

Realizing that i should have left the sticker alone now, I decided to put on my "GRIPE" hat and call YETI (mostly because I was just pissed off at this point.) I told the rep that my wife spent ~350 bucks on a cooler which possessed a sticker a nuclear warhead couldn't remove. He was polite as hell, as I was not...still pissed. He said "Nope that should not have happened, and we know you have several choices where to spend your money on coolers. Please provide me with your mailing address and we will ship out a new one to you."

In the back of my mind, I was hoping for this response but I really didn't think my bitching would do nothing but self medicate my current mood.

My current situation...

Kudos to YETI's customer service.. 

No hassle about proof of purchase or any bull$#!+

Might be worth the extra bucks if their service stays this way.

Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• It's always nice to read stories about great customer service. Enjoy your new cooler. 
  • Did they let you keep the old one?

I'm just saying I don't want you stressing out over that unsightly image, I'm sure I could dispose of it for you.  =)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• billt01
    Did they let you keep the old one?

I'm just saying I don't want you stressing out over that unsightly image, I'm sure I could dispose of it for you.  =)
    they did not let me keep the old one...but they did pay for shipping back to them...

I did buy an RTIC 65 during the fire sale, but I would Imagine Im rolling the dice in the event something breaks..

If I ever need another, it will be a YETI...I will GLADLY pay more for the customer service of a product.

YETI earned a customer for life, unless their service starts to drop. Then it will be time to go shopping again.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I dunno man, if you can't figure out a sticker you maybe should rethink whether you should be drinking alcohol? =)
  • billt01
    I dunno man, if you can't figure out a sticker you maybe should rethink whether you should be drinking alcohol? =)
     :o ...Blasphemy!!!!!
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    In the battle of bill vs the yeti sticker........the yeti sticker won.  =)

Did Lowe's product resets through college.  Goof Off worked great, but removed the gray paint off of the beams.

I really like the product De-Solv-it.
    It isn't as strong as Goof Off, but removes the adhesive without removing what is underneath it, user friendly too.

Mineral Spirits is another favorite.  Used that to remove caulk when refreshing the exterior seams of the camper.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited March 2017
    Focker said:

Did Lowe's product resets through college.  Goof Off worked great, but removed the gray paint off of the beams.

It isn't as strong as Goof Off, but removes the adhesive without removing what is underneath it, user friendly too.

Mineral Spirits is another favorite.  Used that to remove caulk when refreshing the exterior seams of the camper.
    I thought your boss said you where a Goof Off! LOL
  • billt01
    edited March 2017
    Focker said:

The majority of what you see in the 1st picture was "bleed in" into the actual fibreglass.

I thought a high speed buffer and wax would remove it...

I should have wet sanded it, hit it with some rubbing compound, and THEN finish it off with the wax...

or just call YETI and get a new one...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Focker
    Focker said:

I thought your boss said you where a Good Off! LOL
    Not just the boss, everyone, even ancillaries.
    One of our PTs texted me this morning about missing a recent comment.  My word travels fast.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,830
    Umm.  Not sure here.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    billt01 said:
    Focker said:

The majority of what you see in the 1st picture was "bleed in" into the actual fibreglass.

I thought a high speed buffer and was would remove it...

I should have wet sanded it, hit it with some rubbing compound, and THEN finish it off with the wax...

or just call YETI and get a new one...
    My 3 Pelicans had several big stickers on each.  De-Solv-it, solved it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,285
    i wonder why rtic did not put a defective sticker on their coolers =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    I've always had success with a hair dryer borrowed from either the wife or teenager (ouch, that hurt!!!) since this balding guy don't need one!  A little focused heat softened the adhesive enough to get off just about any sticker I've come in contact with!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 424
    WD40 works very well
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    edited March 2017
    i wonder why rtic did not put a defective sticker on their coolers =)
    When I received my RTIC cooler my RTIC decal wasn't even close to being centered. I don't have OCD but I swear I do when it comes to certain things. Like a stupid decal. I emailed RTIC and asked if it would be possible to get a replacement decal. Within a week I received a replacement RTIC logo decal and a couple other bonus decals and stickers with it. All good in my book. Now if it only holds up past my 30 day warranty! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey

This is why I could never be in customer service.  I would have obliged his inquiry, then mailed him out an even BIGGER sticker to cover up the mess on the front of his YETI, lol. 

Steve 

• billt01
    new cooler = no sticker..

I may not have been the only one to complain..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    if anyone was wondering....this is the sticker which defied all laws of adhesive...

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• YEMTrey
    That makes sense.  thought you F'd it up trying to remove the YETI logo sticker!
    Steve 

• billt01
    edited March 2017
    YEMTrey said:
    That makes sense.  thought you F'd it up trying to remove the YETI logo sticker!
    HA!...nope...but as soon as the buffer wheel caught the corner of the aluminum YETI tag...it went flying like a ninja star on red bull

The buffer gave it "wings"

to add... the 1st picture note the bend at the top of the aluminum tag..that was incurred after striking a tree at ~3000/mph ..

made a "whizzing" sound only to be described only as a swarm of bees as it was dislodged from the cooling container.
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• YEMTrey
    Now that is funny!
    Steve 

• Well my RTIC stickers all peeled off with ease. Virtually fell off. I guess it was their inferior chinese knockoff scumbag glue they used on their stickers. 

Little Rock, AR

• Big_Red
    Big_Red Posts: 4
    Good on Yeti....

I bought two RTIC hard coolers during the fire sale January 2017 because I never could bring myself to spend Yeti money on a plastic box.  Well, both had manufacturing defects ranging from voids in the interior foam, to latches drilled off center, scratches/poor finish, crooked logo decals, and looked like you took a dremel to the cutouts for the latches.  I guess if you aren't very 'picky' about things it'd be okay... Both returned.

Then I went to my favorite BGE dealer (also Yeti) and bought a Yeti in about every color/size.  Stupid expensive, but it made me happy.  Blue 35, Tan 50, and White 65.  All seem to be great so far.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    There needs to be a stronger "post-it" glue that should be used on all "stickers" like price tags etc.  I can't STAND trying to remove them from things that should not have stickers. (mugs, etc...)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Big_Red said:
    Good on Yeti....

I bought two RTIC hard coolers during the fire sale January 2017 because I never could bring myself to spend Yeti money on a plastic box.  Well, both had manufacturing defects ranging from voids in the interior foam, to latches drilled off center, scratches/poor finish, crooked logo decals, and looked like you took a dremel to the cutouts for the latches.  I guess if you aren't very 'picky' about things it'd be okay... Both returned.

Then I went to my favorite BGE dealer (also Yeti) and bought a Yeti in about every color/size.  Stupid expensive, but it made me happy.  Blue 35, Tan 50, and White 65.  All seem to be great so far.
    I've read quite a bit about RTIC and never heard of all these problems you've described.  Seems that the only folks who have these issues are fervent Yeti fanboys.
    I have 2 RTIC coolers and they both perform and are manufactured as advertised.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Alcohol is actually a pretty good solution for removing stickers.
  • billt01
    nolabrew said:
    usually...but not in this case..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,299
    nolabrew said:
    I keep a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle around for that.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• nolabrew said:
    I keep a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle around for that.
    To use on the sticker, or on you?  ;)