Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Makeover Week for my Egg

Options
Sometimes everything happens at once I guess. 

My Rutland gasket has been sitting on my desk for like a month so I put it on the agenda this week. Then a buddy was ranting and raving about his Smokeware cap so I ordered one since I moved my Egg out from under cover. While I was there I figured "eh, why not get a new thermometer big enough I don't have to get up to see?"

Then when I took my Egg apart to move it I realized the metal fire grate was broken so I just ordered a Kick Ash and it's on its way. 

Guess I need to start on that table now. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Nice changes.  I'm betting it's going to motivate you to cook more!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I did all those exact upgrades at the same time to mine too!  It's like a new egg! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Nice upgrades for the reasons you named!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Hub if I cook more I'll be up to 4 meals a day. My wife dropped the bomb she doesn't cook about the time room service hit the honeymoon suite! (She chops...it's just not in her wheel house.)

Yesterday I worked like crazy so when I got home she begrudgingly agreed to make spaghetti. I can downstairs to an empty kitchen and found spaghetti sauce at a rolling boil. 

So between the Blackstone and my grill collection we could turn the kitchen into a commercial dish cleaning room. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Now get that table done, those nests can be dangerous! Haven't you seen the pictures of broken eggs ??
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Hntnhrd we were waiting to change the fence in the backyard. I just redid it last weekend so now I have a lot more space. I had it split for our old dogs. Before now it has had a nice little corner to go in so I wasn't worried about damage...until I moved it last weekend and tornados started flying through South Nashville last Wednesday! (I was sitting inour safe area looking out the window at it sitting in the middle of 100 mph gusts on a concrete pad. It was horrible)

Im in the process of designing it now. 

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Now get that table done, those nests can be dangerous! Haven't you seen the pictures of broken eggs ??
    My greatest fear.
    I have seen the beautiful outdoor kitchens everyone has been doing, and it is on the radar. I just have too many other projects that my Beautiful Wife wants done first. Such is life.

Can't wait for retirement, so I can dedicate the rest of my life remodeling this home.
    (The above statement is not true.)

Great upgrades. I really like the thermometer, I replaced my fire grate, after it exploded, with a KAB. Wish I had done it sooner. Have not had to replace the gasket yet, due to replacing the dome, then later replacing the base. I have the gasket kits ready to go, when needed, for both the MM and the XL. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @YukonRon it's a constant balance...especially working from home. Some weeks I don't do anything to improve my foxhole. Others I'm putting clients on mute to cover the sound of a skill saw. 

As as far as those gaskets, the only advice I can give is buy that dang 3M stripper tool from HD or Lowes. (It's on Naked whiz' Rutland gasket page). It's like $6 and does an hours worth of elbow grease in 4 minutes. 

The thermometer is great. I can see it from inside my garage. 

South of Nashville, TN