Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kroger 99 cents a lb boneless shoulders

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
just grabbed a couple sale ends today

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Grabbed 2 last weekend in N. GA.  Good catch.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Yeah I found them last week. I grabbed 30lbs and tossed them in the freezer. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Been that way nearly a month now. Stock up!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Yeah I already had three in the freezer when they went on sale. I bought one the week before. Why?

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • bgebrent
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Yeah I already had three in the freezer when they went on sale. I bought one the week before. Why?

Bob
    Because you can.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I can never get the Kroger butts to turn out as well as Costco, which sucks because I prefer the ease of prepping a bone-in butt.   Anyone else notice a difference in the quality? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • pgprescott
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I can never get the Kroger butts to turn out as well as Costco, which sucks because I prefer the ease of prepping a bone-in butt.   Anyone else notice a difference in the quality? 
    Kroger Boston butts are as good as anything around imo. You would have to expand on your thought to help me possibly understand. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I'm picky but can discern no difference.  What difference do you perceive?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Well, timeliness is a bit late here.  But at the end of a low& slow butt cook I doubt I could discern any taste differences between suppliers on a consistent basis.  Now I can with the different grades of brisket and beef roasts but pork butts, not in my skill-set.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    I see these prices on pork butt, I see awesome sausage less than a dollar a pound ...it's not all about pulled pork
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GoooDawgs
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    GoooDawgs said:
    It may just in my head, but I always find them saltier which makes me think they brined or injected it with something.  But if others have had good results I'll definitely try again.  I do like that you can get just one butt from Kroger.

I'll pick one up and try they Alton Brown brine you shared last week.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • pgprescott
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    bgebrent said:
    GoooDawgs said:
    It may just in my head, but I always find them saltier which makes me think they brined or injected it with something.  But if others have had good results I'll definitely try again.  I do like that you can get just one butt from Kroger.

I rarely buy the boneless ones, rather I get bone in Boston butts. They are individually wrapped. Pretty much everything at Kroger in the larger cuts is individual. They aren't sams or Costco. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I have done Kroger and Restaurant Depot butts. Can't tell any difference. Trying Wegman's butts this weekend. Will report back if anything notable. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    bgebrent said:
    GoooDawgs said:

I rarely buy the boneless ones, rather I get bone in Boston butts. They are individually wrapped. Pretty much everything at Kroger in the larger cuts is individual. They aren't sams or Costco. 
    The ones I got are individually wrapped boneless I have never seen a shoulder cut this way. They weren't hacked like Costco does they just cut the bone out at an angle so the roast is triangle shaped.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Lit said:
    GoooDawgs said:
    bgebrent said:
    GoooDawgs said:

The ones I got are individually wrapped boneless I have never seen a shoulder cut this way. They weren't hacked like Costco does they just cut the bone out at an angle so the roast is triangle shaped.
    The two I picked up were 8-9# bone in butts.  I've done the 4+ pounders and what's nice about them is the higher bark-meat ratio.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Bone-in @.99 here in Knoxville.  I picked up 4 and had 2 sliced into 2" country style ribs.  Vacuum sealed and much better price than 3.69/lb. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options

Sounds like a sausage making day to me!  Homemade sausage for under $1.00 a pound is a bargain

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Just picked up a Kroger butt last night - actually very impressed with their selection as they had some double butt packs of 22-25 pounds!  Butcher opened one up and let me take a 10 pounder.

Hickory and Apple smoke, injected with apple juice and a modified version of Chris Lilly's butt rub. Smoked at 250 and so far looks amazing.  Shhhhh - she's sleeping now in the cooler.

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300