Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear questions

Options
Planning for this Friday night cook.  A buddy thinking about buying a bge and is wanting to see the versatility and flavor the egg adds, plus we will have kids over.  I suggested pizza.  He said "what about a steak"?  So I think we are going to try both!

I assume he is bringing some good (thick) filets or ribeyes, which I prefer to reverse sear.  

I was thinking we would warm the steaks to about 90 IT  while bge warms up and then FTC.  Heat the grill up to cook 4 pizzas (guessing 1.5 hrs with warm up and cooking time), then throw the steaks back on to finish and sear while grill is hot from the pizzas.

My question is how long can you let the meat "rest" between the warm up phase and the finishing sear?  Is 1.5 hrs too long?  I assume it will not retain any of the heat and risk over cooking and dry for medium rare with the long holdover and heating 2x.  The other option is trying to cool down after the pizza and opening it back up!  We all know how hard it is to cool an egg off!

I know the real answer to this problem is "I need another bge"!

Open to suggestions!   Thanks!
Large BGE - 2014
FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
Lake Norman area of NC
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Comments

• etherdome
    Options
    I would do the pizzas last 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I definitely vote for the second egg. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @JacksDad  2nd egg will be hard to pass by the bride when the gasser is sitting there not getting used.   

Normally if not showing off the bge I would warm the steaks on the gasser and finish on bge.
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    The flavor from the BGE can only be brought to your meat if you use it first. It will take about 40 minutes to get to 110ish (very variable) so temp often. Depending on thickness could be 25. A lot of people break the egg down and bring to heat but it is easier to pop onto a gasser at 700 or so. Flip often, medium rare at 125. Takes 5-7 minutes on the gasser. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I agree with steaks first, then pizza. It doesn't take long to sear the steaks. You could even use some steak as pizza toppings. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The goal is to showcase the BGE. So to show versatility, the ideal would be to do both.

If you wanted to be really cunning, you could do this. Will take some co-ordination but I think it will work.
    1. Prep some pizza dough and bread dough.
    2. Cook the steak to 10F off desired internal temp at 250F, with the pizza stone in the LBGE. Whilst this is cooking, get the pizza shaped, toppings on and ready.
    3. Tent-cover/FTC the steak (possibly shaving some off for a steak pizza).
    4. Get the LBGE up to 600F, should be 3-4 mins.
    5. Cook the pizza, around 6-7 mins.
    6. Remove the platesetter, pizza stone.
    7. Uncover and sear the steak.
    8. Whilst eating steak and pizza, put the platesetter and pizza stone back in. Let the LBGE cool down until around 500F.
    9. Cook the bread on the already warm pizza stone, making use of the residual heat in the LBGE as it cools down. Takes 25-35 minutes, depending on how much bread dough you made. For a 600g loaf with 75% hydration, it takes me around 30 minutes.
    Three items, one LBGE. If your friend is staying over, they will get fresh crusty baked bread for breakfast.

Only downside is that the pizza stone does not have the normal amount of time to get up to temperature for the pizza.

I've actually done this with the pizza and then bread thing, works well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You could always caveman the steaks straight on the coals. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You could always caveman the steaks straight on the coals. 
    That would have to be done before the pizza cook. After the pizza cook the coals will have too much ash. Coals for caveman need to be glowing orange. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Never done the caveman style.  Always wanted to give it a try!  Does it work OK on a lean piece of beef like filet or best on fatty ribeye?
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC