Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless thermometer

Options
What are the recommendations for those days when I don't feel like telling the wife that I can't do something because I have to watch the temp on my ________. 

Phone app option maybe. 

Comments

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    If I am reading your question correctly there are a number of options. I have an iGrill which is a thermometer (or up to 4) that will link to your phone through bluetooth. You can get a pit probe as one of your 4 thermometers and set it to tell you if your temp goes too high. I use this during the day when I am going to be around the house.

I also have a Flameboss 200. This links up through the internet and no matter where I am it will send me texts if the temp is out of range plus I can look any time (anywhere) to see the temp of the meat/pit. It also has a fan to control the temp. This what you are looking for?
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Maybe I am now. But I was talking about one for meat IT. Back to the other, where are you measuring the heat, grill surface, dome or... I will fire up the googleeiser and ck it out. Thanks. 
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I just ordered the Thermoworks Smoke. It'll do pit and food temp and has a wireless transmitter to carry around the house, but it won't send something to the phone. (at least yet, they mentioned something coming in 2017 about a wireless hub option, so I'm kind of hopeful that will allow connection outside the home)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a flameboss 200, and if i had to do it over again i would probably get the thermoworks smoke. Flameboss was 3x as much $ and all it has that tw smoke doesnt is the fan and wifi.  I rarely ever use the fan and the smoke will have wifi sooner than later from what it sounds like. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    What is the fan for?
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    It will stoke the fire and maintain temp if/when the temp drops.  With the egg, as long as you have the vents set right then you shouldnt have an issue with maintaining temps. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    OK thanks all. One more question about the iGrill. Is it easy to sync up the ambient temp probe with the egg thermometer?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Anybody considering buying the Smoke and also the WiFi Gateway whenever it comes out ought to give the Fireboard a good look - https://www.fireboard.com/

It allows a total of 6 probes with 6 foot long cables, has built in battery and WiFi ,and is about the same cost as the Smoke/Wifi Gateway combo.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrillSgt
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ordered a iGrill 3 plus ambient probe. I need another device for the lake so will give this a serious test drive before buying another. Thanks for all that the input. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would love to know how I have managed for all these years with none of this crap. I bought a Maverick, never use it. Bought a DigiQ, use it maybe 2-3 times a year (mostly because I spent all that money).

Mostly, I just walk outside and check temp from time to time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I would love to know how I have managed for all these years with none of this crap. I bought a Maverick, never use it. Bought a DigiQ, use it maybe 2-3 times a year (mostly because I spent all that money).

Mostly, I just walk outside and check temp from time to time.
    Depends on your situation. i use my Maverick 733 all the time for indirect cooks, never for direct cooks. 
    After the egg is lit, the setter goes in, the grid level is set and the 733 clipped to the grid (out of direct line with the burning lump with the cable in the shadow of a setter leg). If I want a grid temp of 350º (about 380º on the dome thermo) I set the 733 pit probe to alert at about 300º. I wander off or settle back for a nap as I am prone to do. When the probe alerts, wakes me up, I go to the egg and adjust the airflow. Resetting the alert temps for a 325º low and a 375º high, once the egg stabilizes, I toss the food on and wander off or go bug the dog who usually has taken over my napping spot. 
    For roasts, the food probe is set, otherwise it usually just hangs by the egg measuring the ambient temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I have the iGrill2 which I am very impressed with. I have had the Maverick ET-732 and 733 which both worked well for a little while then gave me issues. The iGrill2 has been very accurate and easy to use. It works great with my iPhone and iPad, I have not tried it with my Droid but I am sure it will work fine with that as well. The only downside is the range on the Bluetooth is pretty weak. With that being said I will definitely buy another one if need be but I am interested in the Thermoworks Smoke.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I use my Maverick 733 every now and again, but not that often. I do like it though. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I want it for 2 reasons, overnights and smaller roasts. Those 3-5 lbers can really cook fast the last 25 degrees or so. Tell me you haven't been surprised more than once that something is a bit overdone. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thermoworks smoke would be my choice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Givengold3
    Options
    I have had a Maverick and igrill. Just got a FireBoard and the quality and utility are absolutely the finest. It is made with a micro USB port, and rumor has it that a fan is in the works. 
    Concord, CA
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have had the Maverick and the IGrill. The Thermoworks Smoke is leaps and bounds over either of them in terms of quality. Everything Thermoworks makes is top notch.
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    I talked to Thermoworks about 2 weeks ago and they mentioned in June they will release the WiFi module. I am keeping my fingers crossed for that.
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have the iGrill 2 and I like it but I have issues with the range. My egg is about 30 feet from my office and it won't pick up from there. There is a fireplace right in the line of site so that may be the issue.  Others have reported no issues with range. I would advise giving it a test.  Make sure it holds a connection from all the places in your house you think you may be while cooking. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.