Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If all goes according to plan... Pastrami!

Options
I started with a corned beef from Kroger. It's just under 4 pounds. I soaked it for 2 days, changing the water regularly. It's been on the egg for about an hour. I'm between 250-275 dome temp. I am really excited for the finished project. I'm gonna let it rest when done and have a late lunch/early dinner!
LBGE
Nashville, TN. 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Best of luck, It seems you are on a great start. Congrats!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • flatwounds
    Options
    thank you, sir!
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • flatwounds
    flatwounds Posts: 129
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well, it turned out ok. I think I should have pulled it sooner. Pulled at 190. It's a little dry but tasty. Next time I'll pull at 170. Live and learn!
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

Looks great! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I did one on the weekend and it took to 200 before it was tender, you may have actually pulled too soon
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    poster said:
    I did one on the weekend and it took to 200 before it was tender, you may have actually pulled too soon
    As someone who has done this cook exactly twice, I agree... First pastrami I made, I pulled way before 200 and it was kind of tough. Second I went to 200 and it was much much more tender. But I think the first was a flat, and the second a point, so basically, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about and you can ignore everything I said... :)

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• flatwounds
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    poster said:
    As someone who has done this cook exactly twice, I agree... First pastrami I made, I pulled way before 200 and it was kind of tough. Second I went to 200 and it was much much more tender. But I think the first was a flat, and the second a point, so basically, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about and you can ignore everything I said... :)

Ah! I think I didn't have enough lump. It was the end of a bag. The stall was long and it peaked at 192 and didn't budge. So I pulled it. I'll nail it next time. 
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited February 2017
    Options
     Pastrami likes to be steamed prior to making sandwiches. A good smoke on a pastrami rubbed corned beef brisket, sliced, followed up by a spell in a steam tray, pressure cooker or even a moist foil pack will do wonders.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • flatwounds
    Options
    Thanks, Jim. Im going to steam some today. 
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That looks great to me. Send me what you are unhappy with, I am sure it is delicious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Pastrami likes to be steamed prior to making sandwiches. A good smoke on a pastrami rubbed corned beef brisket, sliced, followed up by a spell in a steam tray, pressure cooker or even a moist foil pack will do wonders.

I agree with Topgun. I usually smoke until it hits the stall, then put on a rack in a foil pan with some water, and cover with foil and steam it for awhile. Comes out amazingly tender. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i bought a 20 dollar pressure cooker just for pastrami, it really needs the steam, bed bath beyond. they come on sale right after st pats day, i pick thru the pile looking for points/thick cut depending on who marks them. the point and pc really step it up a level. last few got the water soak with crushed garlic, adds alot of flavor to pastrami. its a good cook to stock up on when on sale
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • flatwounds
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    That looks great to me. Send me what you are unhappy with, I am sure it is delicious.
    Thanks, Ron! It's steaming now. 
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • flatwounds
    Options
    i bought a 20 dollar pressure cooker just for pastrami, it really needs the steam, bed bath beyond. they come on sale right after st pats day, i pick thru the pile looking for points/thick cut depending on who marks them. the point and pc really step it up a level. last few got the water soak with crushed garlic, adds alot of flavor to pastrami. its a good cook to stock up on when on sale
    I'll look for one of those. I've never used a pressure cooker but they do have my interest.  Thanks, man.
    CTMike said:
    CtTOPGUN said:

I agree with Topgun. I usually smoke until it hits the stall, then put on a rack in a foil pan with some water, and cover with foil and steam it for awhile. Comes out amazingly tender. 
    Hey Mike,
    I'm steaming now. I'm learning as I go!
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • flatwounds
    Options
    Steam!
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • SmokeySailor
    Options
    I've read that the moisture content of a cut of meat is solely a function of temperature.  I tend to agree, the driest chicken I've ever had was boiled and driest beef was done in a slow cooker.  What function does steam serve in BBQ?  Does experience prove otherwise?
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    XL BGE - AR Rig Combo - Bunch of other things I don't know how to use...
  • flatwounds
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I'm sure someone on this forum does...
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN. 
  • flatwounds
    Options
    The makeshift steamer did the trick of making the meat a bit more tender. Thanks for the advice, folks!
    LBGE
    Nashville, TN.