Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax transport on trailer hitch cargo extender. Any ideas?

Options
Usually have a spot inside the vehicle for mm transport.  i am not afraid of mounting it on rear cargo carrier that goes into trailer hitch receiver but id like to put it inside of some sort of box to A) shield it from flying rocks on road, B) shield it from non minimax owners who would like to have a minimax or sell it at a discount to someone else who would love to have a minimax and C) come up with an easy and quick solution where its not a giant process to get it secured

I should probably get that F350 King ranch ive been eying but for now im going to keep my wagon mommas suv

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    On big family trips, I like being able to see out the back of the Explorer.  I got one of the hitch mounted racks that I am able to secure just about anything to.  I've got some large Rubbermaid latching boxes that can sit side-by-side that I've been able to lock the box and then secure with straps.  I am 100& sure the MM will fit in one of those; I just need one......  Lump will fit as well as other accessories.  Then the surfboards were attached to the tops of the boxes and we were off.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The MM seems to ride pretty well. I have made several trips with it, using common sense, and it has never had an issue. We do a ton of camping, and occasionally travel off road to get there. It is a bit more durable than most give it credit for.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Im going to look for a nice rubbermaid box thatll fit inside trailer receiver cargo rack and one which i can secure to the rack with the comealong orange ratchet action tie down straps.   Should be good 

Ive always transported mm inside the vehicle-either in the rear cargo area of the station wagon or back are in the ml320 suv, always strapped down with the cargo hooks

I do have cardboard cutouts to layer in between the cramic components to help absorb vibration.  Never had any problems
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    These are similar to what I've used!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thanks for the images @DaveRichardson...im shopping tonite!