Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon cured ribs

Options
After seeing @caliking post about some bacon cured ribs in the charcutapalooza thread, I wanted to try these.  I cured three racks and cooked two previously, letting the third cure a week longer.  The original two racks were way too salty, so I gave the third rack a good soak for 24 hours to draw some of the salt out.

I cooked these turbo today and had a few for lunch.  Interesting, definitely not regular ribs.  I liked the flavor, still salty though.  Definitely cool looking and maybe more of an appetizer than main course.

Not a felon

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    OMG, beautiful!  Send me something!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I think you went a little long on the cure and that's where your salt bomb came in. I'll look at our notes but I don't think we went that long. 

Ill post the the recipe here when I find it for anyone interested. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,710
    Options
    Could be @The Cen-Tex Smoker first two racks went I think 6 days, no soak, this rack just under two weeks.  Color and taste on first racks wasn't great, so I left the third to cure longer and added the soak.  Standard Ruhlman cure, salt box to apply, maybe too much since the surface area to meat is high and not nearly the fat of a belly?
    Not a felon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,753
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think the bacon ribs I cooked were cured for a week or so. Maybe 10 days.

Re: salt, I think others in our group have concluded that Ruhlman's recipes are a bit heavy on the salt. I think the Cen- Tex figured at some point that the salt in Ruhlman's recipes can be reduced by 20%, but I'll let him chime in to confirm. 

And I agree that they work better as an appetizer or side of sorts and not as the main attraction. Still good though :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I think the bacon ribs I cooked were cured for a week or so. Maybe 10 days.

Re: salt, I think others in our group have concluded that Ruhlman's recipes are a bit heavy on the salt. I think the Cen- Tex figured at some point that the salt in Ruhlman's recipes can be reduced by 20%, but I'll let him chime in to confirm. 

And I agree that they work better as an appetizer or side of sorts and not as the main attraction. Still good though :)
    Janell actually figured the salt thing out with the Ruhr man cures. We are drunk on a plane at the moment but I'll have her send me the details of how much she cuts it down and post it here as well. She is the keeper of the cure recipes at our house. Once she builds the cures, she hands it off to me for the rest of it. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    the problem I have with the salt box method is I have no idea how much cure is sticking to the meat - and if it's a thinner piece, it'll have the same amount as a thicker piece. you should be OK with around 2% salt to meat.

this is such an awesome cook.  I may run out tonight and pick up a small piece of ribs to test this with!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We have 100% aborted the saltbox method. we measure meat to salt by the gram. That will fix almost all the salt issues
  • blind99
    Options
    We have 100% aborted the saltbox method. we measure meat to salt by the gram. That will fix almost all the salt issues
    Same here. 
    The digging dog farms calculator page is still live 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,710
    Options
    Hahaha - too funny.  You need to send out notifications when you change things up.  I started curing bacon measuring exactly and you turned me toward salt box.  I can't keep up.
    Not a felon
  • blind99
    Options
    I was so stoked about this I ran out and grabbed some ribs.  Two half slabs are in the cure. 540 g of ribs calculated out to 16 g of cure- not much! I wasn't sure how much weight the bones make up so one of the half slabs got 12 g and the other got the whole 16 g. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hahaha - too funny.  You need to send out notifications when you change things up.  I started curing bacon measuring exactly and you turned me toward salt box.  I can't keep up.
    Travis doesn't boil his briskets anymore. Gotta keep your head on a swivel around here. Things move fast.