Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stretching BBQ/Quick BBQ

Options
Flying to Tampa next weekend to help a buddy do a BBQ fundraiser at his house for the YMCA.  We will be cooking on a large green egg as well as a Shirley type cooker.  Haven't seen the Shirley yet, but i'm told it should fit the following meats that we will be serving:  50 pound pig(donated), 40 pounds of pork butt, 45 pounds of brisket, 10 racks of ribs. I figured that those meats will yield about 300 1/4 pound servings.  We don't know if we will have 50 people or 500 people.  There is no admission or price for the food, just donations.  Goal is to raise $5,000.  We will have sides, beans, cole slaw, salads ect.  The brisket and pork will just be served on rolls, ribs will be 2 bone portions.  Because Q takes a long time to cook, if we have an overwhelming response, and the food starts going quick, any ideas on how to stretch it out or quick Q ideas?  Thanks for any and all help and ideas.
South Buffalo, New York

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Brother Moose, if you do not get the response that you are looking for, give me a call late this afternoon. I will offer a few suggestions my friend. 
    228-627-5400.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    Options
    One thought is you could have someone on standby to make a run to Costco or the grocery store to pick up something that cooks quickly like sausages, hot dogs, burgers, etc.  For the BBQ theme I think sausage works well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    Options
    That's a great gesture for all involved.  I'm sure the degree of advertising, location and the aroma of the cook will determine the crowd. With the bulk of protein going on the Shirley, that is not a fire and forget cook like the BGE.    I'm with @SmokeyPitt regarding having scoped out a quick cook restock plan.
    Good luck.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    if it looks like the crowds going to go big get a boiling pot going for hot dogs for the kids. grill some and boil some, some kids dont like "burned dogs"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Are you sure you want to mess with the ribs. 10 racks will take the same space as 4-6 butts. That would give you another 25+lbs of pulled pork.  Roughly 100 servings compared to 40 for the ribs. 
    Social media can/will get the word out fast. 
    Great thing you're doing. World needs more good people. Thanks for being one of them. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE You going to Mike's house?  My son gets confirmed next weekend, but I'd love to come help out if we can make it work.  We'll be doing confirmation Mass and post party most of Saturday.  I hope it works out.  I'd love to see y'all again.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @SGH. I will call you Friday after work if you are available.  Always want to hear your opinion. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt and @ Lousubcap thanks for the input. We thought about sausage and that is one of our options. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @Smokin_Trout we have gone back and forth on the ribs and not doing them is an option but really want to do them in order to have political correctness and BBQ diversity (ok we both love them).  Thanks for the input. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @thetrim yes it is at Mike's house.  I am flying in thursday night and leaving sunday around 6:00.  Was talking to him yesterday and I said I would be disappointed if I we did not  hear from you on the forum. Both of us would love to see you again. Lets make it happen!
    South Buffalo, New York
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    And yes I am trying ro raise my post count!!
    South Buffalo, New York
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Moose, I sent you a PM
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    OK, you have to have the ribs. Start your briskets early, when done FTC during the 5 hour rib cook. This should allow you more room for butts, sausage or whatever else your arteries taste buds desire. 
    Good luck. Lots of pics please