Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Really botched the spoon bread. Need a recipe please...

JethroVAJethroVA Posts: 1,002
Folks: I've made boxed spoon bread previously and it's fine.  Wanted to make it from scratch tonight. Found a "classic Virginia recipe".  It was no good. Gonna try to salvage it in a frying pan for breakfast.   Got a scratch recipe for me? many thanks
For the yankees on this forum, spoon bread is like a creamy moist corn bread pudding.  It's a southern thing, you might not understand.  

Richmond, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. No FireWires Yet. Hoping to win some soon.

Comments

• CincyTikiCincyTiki Posts: 320
    edited February 2017
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • JethroVAJethroVA Posts: 1,002
    thank you brother @CincyTiki
    Richmond, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. No FireWires Yet. Hoping to win some soon.
  • Yep. Dumb yank here.  You had me a corn pudding. 
  • EggDanEggDan Posts: 173
    Agree with @CincyTiki. The Pearl has the best that I've ever tried. I'm glad that they posted the recipe. 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,866
    Live in GA 43 years now and this is the first time I have heard of spoon bread. It sounds good though. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,907
    CincyTiki said:
    Do you preheat your skillet?
    Thank you,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @Photo Egg

Darian,
    For this recipe I did not preheat the skillet.
    I don't remember having any sticking issues.
    I will have to make it again this weekend now that you ask :-)
    Let me know how it works for you.
    Gerry

Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • I've been to NYC. I've never seen it there.
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,907
    CincyTiki said:
    @Photo Egg

Darian,
    For this recipe I did not preheat the skillet.
    I don't remember having any sticking issues.
    I will have to make it again this weekend now that you ask :-)
    Let me know how it works for you.
    Gerry

Thank you.
    Many of the corn bread type instructions ask you to preheat the cast iron.
    I guess they are looking for a nice crust that may not be needed/wanted in this case.
    Thanks for the post...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CtTOPGUNCtTOPGUN Posts: 486
     What is the difference between cornbread and spoonbread?
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Gasser/28" Blackstone Griddle

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
    @CtTOPGUN spoon bread is much moister as in eat it with a spoon.  Think corn bread pudding. 
    Salvaged it by adding some salt and browning both sides in butter in a skillet.  Topped with a runny fried egg.  Was quite tasty after that treatment. But then again an old shoe would be tasty with that treatment. 
  • tgs2401tgs2401 Posts: 410
    edited February 2017
    Here you go @JethroVA
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,712
    Funny how most corn dishes are southern, yet the vast majority of corn grows above the mason-dixon line.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,712

• tgs2401tgs2401 Posts: 410
    edited February 2017
    Spoonbread is great. Doesn't taste or have the same texture like cornbread.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.