Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on ditching social media...

Options

I understand the irony that I post this question on social media but here is goes...

I watched a video today about millennials in the workplace. Quite a bit of it was discussion the impact that social media has had on thier ability to form deep, meaningful relasionships and so on. Stuff most of us have all heard before. This in not a millennial bashing post. For the record, at 38 I am not a millennial, and I do have the ability to form relasionships "the old fashioned way", and I cherrish those relasionships. I have people who I can acctually count on to come physically get me out of ditch if needed. If I were to post about being in a ditch, then a lot kind people we be offering comentary and kind words, but I would still be in the ditch.

After thinking about the content of that video for a while, I think its high time to step away from social media. I went through a similar epiphany when I dumped my facebook account several years ago. My current social media, dopamine-release agents are an instagram account, an Untapped account (because...beer) and this forum.

I have found myself lately almost feeling a longing, of sorts, for "likes" on my instagram posts about my food, and I am  equally engaged in seeing how many views there have been on my discussions on this forum. What this has done to me has created this drive where I look for the admiration of complete strangers. It feels bizzare to even type that out. I am a confident, secure person and never would have thought I was going to be one who sought out attention, but that's what I have allowed social media to do to me.

So the whole point of this rant is to say that I think it's time for me to step away from my social media addictions. It has started to consume quite a bit of time, and that feels unhealthy. I am going to try and seek out local people who share my interest in egging (and now Blackstoning) and acctually try to get together to share a meal and a beverage and engage in real inter-personal communication about cooking and life. I guess like those "meatings" the Manbque guys do in Chicago. Alright, if you made it to the end if this post, you either have plenty of free time, or you're like me and use social media to waste your time.

Happy cooking y'all, maybe I'll be lucky enough to catch up with some of you in the physical world, if you smell BBQ smoke and I'm in my yard, stop by. I appreciate the members here who have provided me with insight and helped shorten the learning curve by sharing thier knowledge and experiences.

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Somewhere, it's Friday.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    First step is to admit that it's problem so you're on your way.   I visit this site for these reasons only: To learn or help others learn, and to laugh.  Usually the latter. There's only a handful of people (all who know in real life) whose opinions I care about so I really can't be of much help to you.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Good for you.  I believe the facebook, instagram, twitter etc have had a very negative effect on society and the depth of individual thinking.

This forum is different, at least in my mind.  I hope to actually cook with a lot of the different members.

Phoenix 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I commend your decision.  I have family in New Berlin, when there this summer I will try to sniff you out.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Millennial here. Never done social media of any type. This is the closest it gets for me. I can't make fun of too many people on social media. I take pictures of food I make. :o 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am jealous of you I wish I had time to do those things. I have never had a social media account this is as close as it gets. I would say drop them and don't look back. I have been contemplating not posting here anymore and just looking at cooks lately I hate wasting time here I could have spent with my kids.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I am 38.
    This is my only social media account.
    I did have a Facebook account way back when.  Even when I had it, I made a rule to only friend people that I talk to face to face.  The social media scene disgusts me.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    Everyone needs at least one friend who they can call at 3am and say "I need $10,000 and your car in 15 minutes" and the friends only reasonable response is "small bills or large bills?"

Beyond that, who cares?

I come on social media (Facebook, here, a car forum, a deals forum) to kill time between having a real life. If I have some down time between tasks at work, etc.  Social media doesn't replace my time for other more important thing or time with kids (my wife and I have even have a strict no electronics at the dinner table rule), it's a time filler for what otherwise I'd be just reading a book, watching a movie 3-minutes at a time, etc.

But hey, do what's best for you.

O yeah, millennial here :get_outta_here:
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    The various BBQ forums that I participate in are as social as it gets for me.
    I have no use for things like Facebook. I would say that I hate Facebook, but that's pretty strong language, but that sums it up for me. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I avoided Facebook for professional reasons and frankly to keep nosy relatives out of my business. Sometimes that means that I am late on the information loop but 95% of what I see on other people's pages is stuff I have no interest in knowing. I am on a few more forums but they are being weeded down, often because they move to Facebook. This forum relates to a past time of mine and we do have Eggfests.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    If it's negatively effecting your life then unplug and see if your life improves. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Thanks for the discussion everyone. Interesting to hear other people's thoughts.

I think this forum is a different type of social media and doesn't seem to stink like FB and IG do.  

there will be alot of time on your hands, maybe northGAcocks neighbor can help you find a hobby =)

This is what you picture reminded me of:

Image result for secretary liar liar

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

New Berlin, WI

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Never done FB and never will.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @NPHuskerFl quit for a bit a while ago to demonstrate something to his kid or something. If I recall properly....

If I have this correct, I am on this site way too much.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Reminds me of this

So, if this is you (i.e. where it interferes with your real life), then I agree that having a breather might be a good idea:
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    We are all prone to become a victim to various vices and addictions.

If various social media outlets are causing problems in your life then it may be wise to reexamine how you use them.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. are tools and like any tool what you get out of them depends on how you use them. None of them are intrinsically evil. All of them can be potentially very useful. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tclamberth
    Options
    Twitter is awesome. Didn't read OP just throwing that out there 
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I too have never done Facebook, don't do instagram ... maybe just browse from time to time.
     I have 2-3 sites I post to and that's about it.
    i am kind of a news junkie so I do wake up and click to see what's going on in the world,I also generally like forums because of the information and entertainment value. I enjoy peoples opinions and comments on various things.
    i watch little TV, listen to lots of radio , and get some BS giggles and entertainment from the netz.

Seattle, WA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Guys, he's probably not reading our replies :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61 said:

I am actually.

New Berlin, WI

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Just like anything else it's what you make of it. If someone is annoying I block their posts. I mostly use it to keep up with out of town friends and relatives. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    We are all prone to become a victim to various vices and addictions.

If various social media outlets are causing problems in your life then it may be wise to reexamine how you use them.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. are tools and like any tool what you get out of them depends on how you use them. None of them are intrinsically evil. All of them can be potentially very useful. 
    I agree with this.  What are you getting from your use of social media?  How much time are you dedicating to it?  Do a cost benefit analysis, and if the time commitment is causing you to miss things, then cut back.  If you get real value and it is a tiny part of your day, stay with it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    You should watch the show Black Mirror on Netflix. Deals with the negative effects of social media and technology in general. 
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Hans61 said:

I am actually.

Since you are i'll add a real comment.

I dumped my Facebook years ago. This is my only social media. Some days I'm on it more than others. This forum is different to me than Facebook or instagram. Common love of outdoor cooking puts me with a group of guys I instantly have way more in common with then the general population. 

I get the best advice and ideas from like minded people here. That goes for on topic threads or off. 

if social media is causing you to miss out on real life than yeah cut back or take a break.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'm holding out for the "Cliffs Notes" version of this head. In lieu of reading the entire rant I'll say yes. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I considered going "socially silent" including dumping the forum when I found out I may have to do a job hunt soon but a few folks convinced me my fears were unfounded. I do have IG and I have to have a Twitter acct for work (yes, I'm expected to tweet - I don't). And of course untapped but as a certified beer judge I just know the world wants to hear my opinion...

For me (46, 4 kids) I have no use for FB. I don't mind IG but rarely post. I did a couple knife pictures and got told to stop making knives and go brew more beer (my friends have their own priorities). I do have a higher level of respect for a few people here so I stayed but I can see your desire to go. I mostly use this to kill time during boring work calls and there is always good cooking advice here that is worth staying for. I would suggest coming on when you want to ask a question. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Never really though of message boards as social media. 

I have a FB, Twitter, IG, and Snapchat account, as well as a blog. I don't post often and don't read them often - just don't have time for that.  But they are useful when there is something of interest to me going on and I want to hear the views of others on it or when I have something to vent about. IG and Snapchat are just so I can follow what my nieces and nephews are up to.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com