Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low n Slow Chicken

Options
No egg pics, too busy with the grandkids.   Lol.  

Put 2 spatched chickens on the large at 12:30 & pulled about 5:45 runnin about 225 raised direct on the woo extender with some orange and cherry for smoke.   
  Did a butternut squash on the small for about 1hr at 450 indirect with pineapple head and brown sugar.  Once it was done I added a lil maple syrup and butter and hit with the blender stick.  
  The cauliflower got roasted in the hot box because I ran out of eggs big enough to hold the pan.  

Only got a plated pic. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    That's my kindling meal. Love butternut squash. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,038
    Options
    Chicken is heaven off the egg, and that looks plated food looks awesome. You kill it every single time.
    Love your posts.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @theyolksonyou - thanks 

@yukonron - thank you sir but your cook for your beautiful wife always come out very nice every time too.  

analyze adapt overcome

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Man that look good
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That squash is the winner - although I'm sure the chicken was great. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Been preaching lo amd slo chicken for years!

a guy at work, who bought an egg when a couple of us convinced him, told is he did his chickens at 225-250 for five or six hours

we nodded politely and laughed (to ourselves)

until we tired it and found out they were fantastic

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

a guy at work, who bought an egg when a couple of us convinced him, told is he did his chickens at 225-250 for five or six hours

It was you that convinced me...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    Options
    No it wasn't!

it was a dude who worked with me that convinced me who convinced you!

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Good looking plate as always.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I've done jerk chicken low and slow at 225 for 2- 2 1/2 hours. What does 5 0r 6 hours do?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    For me it's the texture of the chicken. Didn't even temp the bird just pulled it when the joints pulled apart with no effort. 

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice looking plate brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Man that looks delicious.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I've done jerk chicken low and slow at 225 for 2- 2 1/2 hours. What does 5 0r 6 hours do?
    Direct at 225? Spatched?

i find if indirect, it takes a lot longer than 2-1/2 hours at 250 to be 'done'

to answer why... i find indirect low and slow to be a gentler cook, more even roasting. The dark stuff overcooking just the way we like it (legs/wings around 200-205) while the breast stays moist. Skin very crispy, good amount of smoke if you want too
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Got my XL recently. Did two chickens at 250-260. Used  DP Swamp Venom on one and DP Shaking the tree on other with some pecan wood chips. Took about 2.25 hours on direct cook. Pulled at 165 breast, legs went up to 190. Came out very moist. Will do long and slow if time allows as  most of my family liked the texture of it. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I think you will find legs and wings at higher temps to be good if not better. 

I like raised direct (spatched) also, because the char on the underside is pretty tasty stuff

always good to mix things up
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like low and slow chicken too. 

Looks great Matt!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'll take a plate of that please!

low and slow chicken - never done it but I will also steal this idea. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You make me jealous brother Matt!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You make me jealous brother Matt!!
    It's the plate!  Swear ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Not to take away, but I like to separate the skin completely before the cook and crisp up in the toaster oven or kitchen clock(if needed) Chicken cracklings are awesome. Thank me later. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Totally agree on the chicken cracklings when needed.  The last 2hrs of the cook I cooked skin down.  Tater chip like skin.  Also helps if you separate the skin from meat pre cook.   

I've done the skin only on the egg.  Incredible taste 

analyze adapt overcome

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Great looking grub Matt 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Derek1234
    Derek1234 Posts: 23
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Trying this today. 225 direct? Can I do the same cook time (5-6hrs) raised indirect? Would Pecan smoke be ok? Thank you!!!
    Large BGE
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    You can go raised direct.   That's how I do mine.  For setup I have less than 3/4 firebox of lump and have the chicken about 3 1/2 - 4" above the felt line.  The idea here is to increase the distance between fire and meet.  I like the fat dripppings on an open fire. 

I generally will start out skin down and flip about 2hrs in. Cook at 250ish direct.  

analyze adapt overcome

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,854
    Options
    Once again a great cook, definitely enhanced by the diamond plate.  
    I've got a spatch chix in the queue for Sunday-will run L&S raised direct.  Thanks for the incentive.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Derek1234
    Options
    You can go raised direct.   That's how I do mine.  For setup I have less than 3/4 firebox of lump and have the chicken about 3 1/2 - 4" above the felt line.  The idea here is to increase the distance between fire and meet.  I like the fat dripppings on an open fire. 

I generally will start out skin down and flip about 2hrs in. Cook at 250ish direct.  
    Thank you! This will be my 1st low and slow direct cook, so I appreciate your advice! Cheers!
    Large BGE
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Good luck with.  Be prepared to have the best chicken ever.  

analyze adapt overcome

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Once again a great cook, definitely enhanced by the diamond plate.  
    I've got a spatch chix in the queue for Sunday-will run L&S raised direct.  Thanks for the incentive.   
    Doing the same thing. We're trying to eat Sunday lunch at home and I'm going to spatch 2 birds and let em smoke while we are at church. 

XLBGE 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Derek1234 said:

Thank you! This will be my 1st low and slow direct cook, so I appreciate your advice! Cheers!
    it will cook faster direct, although depends how raised it is.

one is roasting, the other is grilling, even though dome temp is the same.

given the low dome temp, and depending how raised it is, the two can be very close.

if i am planning on 5-6 hours though, i would go indirect as a rule.