Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon question...

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
My first attempt at makin bacon. Curing a couple of 5 lb chunks of pork belly, it's been two days, and there is a lot of liquid accumalating in the ziplock bags. Should I pour out the liquid or just leave it be? 
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    jabam said:
    My first attempt at makin bacon. Curing a couple of 5 lb chunks of pork belly, it's been two days, and there is a lot of liquid accumalating in the ziplock bags. Should I pour out the liquid or just leave it be? 
    Leave it be.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jabam
    Options
    Ok...Also followed a recipe I found on the interweb, it called for 1 1/2 tsp of curing salt per 5 lb, is that enough? Doesn't seem like very much to me
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • SirSquatch
    Options
    Cure #1 is a level tsp per 5lbs I believe. And yes leave the liquid, taking it out would remove your cure.
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jabam said:
    The accumulating liquid is basically a brine. All the liquid will mix with the cure that you used thus producing a liquid brine for lack of a better word. 

jabam said:
    Ok...Also followed a recipe I found on the interweb, it called for 1 1/2 tsp of curing salt per 5 lb, is that enough? Doesn't seem like very much to me
    1 1/2 tsp is near perfect for 5 pounds of meat. Remember that it only takes 4 ounces of cure per 100 pounds of meat. You are good to go. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jabam
    Options
    @DMW, @SirSquatch, thanks guys!
  • jabam
    Options
    SGH said:
    jabam said:
    The accumulating liquid is basically a brine. All the liquid will mix with the cure that you used thus producing a liquid brine for lack of a better word. 

jabam said:
    1 1/2 tsp is perfect for 5 pounds of meat. Remember that it only takes 4 ounces of cure per 100 pounds of meat. You are good to go. 
    Thanks brother!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    jabam said:
    Thanks brother!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jabam
    Options