Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Wood?

Options
What maple tree wood is usually used for smoking? 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Sugar maple
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    But any will do.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• clifkincaid
    Options
    So looking at Big leaf maple (western maple) it can also be tapped to make syrup. Looks as though it's not as sweet 2-4% sugar rest being water. Couldn't really find a definitive answer if this wood smoke was sweet (er) or pungent. Or I should just burn it in the fire pit.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Love maple......I use is on pork butts with some apple.  AKA: "Mapple"
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    But any will do.
    So let me get this straight.  Any maple tree can be used for smoke wood?  I aske because I have a maple tree in my backyard that has to come down.  I live in South Carolina and never gave it a thought that it could be used for smoke wood?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's mild, I have used a bunch of it. I quite like it. I don't think the sap sugar content matters at all unless you cut it in the spring when it's running but I don't know for sure
    I used a few green branch trimmings - good, and dried maple -good. Like dried better though.

Definitely use the Big Leaf in the smoker. I bet it's good. And a whole tree is a lifetime of wood for a BGE.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    But any will do.
    So let me get this straight.  Any maple tree can be used for smoke wood?  I aske because I have a maple tree in my backyard that has to come down.
    Correct. Sounds like you just hit the Mother Lode!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    But any will do.
    So let me get this straight.  Any maple tree can be used for smoke wood?  I aske because I have a maple tree in my backyard that has to come down.
    Correct. Sounds like you just hit the Mother Lode!
    Sounds like it.   =) Thanks 
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    But any will do.
    So let me get this straight.  Any maple tree can be used for smoke wood?  I aske because I have a maple tree in my backyard that has to come down.  I live in South Carolina and never gave it a thought that it could be used for smoke wood?
    So, where should we come to pick some up?
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Got back to this to late...just cut a huge big leaf down. It was all hauled to the yard waste.