Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First SRF Brisket

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Started with 14.6 lbs and trimmed to a little over 13. Salt, pepper, oak. It really cooked fast - I expected it might cook a little faster than some that I've cooked but this was done in 9 hrs at 250 degrees. I was timing my cook for about an hour per pound. I got up to check on it at 8 hrs and thought I might wrap in butcher paper. That's when I found it at about 200 degrees and probing pretty good. Left it on for another hour until I got butter. It's in FTC until noon for an Outback Bowl gathering. I'll post some sliced pics later.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    sweet!  looks awesome!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Going to be good. Looks great!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Great looking meteorite right there.  Enjoy the eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Well, I will say that I was a little nervous as to whether or not this would turn out or be "that" much better than a Costco prime (I have probably cooked 20 or so of those over the past 3 years). I can say without a doubt, this was the best brisket I have ever cooked or eaten (never been to Franklin's or the other hot joints in Austin but I have eaten a lot of very good Texas brisket). While the sliced pics don't really highlight now damn good it was, I will say that it was truly amazing - several of my friends that were here were also here for some of my personal best briskets prior to this and their sentiments were the same. Done at 6 AM and rested until the majority of our open-house party goers got here at 2 PM. Sliced at 145 degrees after the FTC. Juicy, tender, flavorful like I've never had from the egg.

Big thanks to @lousubcap and @SRFShane as this was the brisket that I was lucky enough to win back on Memorial Day weekend. So great... Thank you!

eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @minniemoh   Thanks for the nod but @westernbbq and @SRFShane are the key players here. @westernbbq got the thread going, someone found that it was running along with National Brisket Day and @SRFShane just rolled in as SRF is becoming famous for in this small corner of the brisket world.
    Now with that cleared up-great cook and result right there. That is a thing of beauty.  Bark and moisture are off the charts.  Way to nail the cook.  Congrats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That looks fantastic! That makes my salmon fillets on the mini tonight look like White Castle :o
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. Glad you did that prize justice 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Looks great.  I had been wondering the same thing about SRF vs. prime Costco.  Now I know and my credit card will be put through the wringer.  :)
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Spot on man!  Looks delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Very nice! And soon you will find something this when you clean out your storage area:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @minniemoh   Thanks for the nod but @westernbbq and @SRFShane are the key players here. @westernbbq got the thread going, someone found that it was running along with National Brisket Day and @SRFShane just rolled in as SRF is becoming famous for in this small corner of the brisket world.
    Now with that cleared up-great cook and result right there. That is a thing of beauty.  Bark and moisture are off the charts.  Way to nail the cook.  Congrats.

Ahhh! Correct Cap. It was @westernbbq. Thanks for all the compliments guys. I'm sure glad I went with blind faith and bought in the 2-fer deal they had in November. I can't wait to make the next one!
    eggAddict from MN!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Getting ready for Memorial Day Brisket Cook 2017!

I ordered 4 15 lb srf briskys amd they have since been smoked, sliced, consumed and praised!
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Nice work @minniemoh, glad you liked it!  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    In honor of next weekend's National Brisket Day, I wanted to give this great cook from last year's SRF winner a bump.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va