Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Sous Vide cook Costco filet mignons

Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
So I never really thought much of sous vide and rarely said anything positive about it. Well after my fist steak cook with it my opinion has completely changed!
For the first try I am very happy with the results. It also warms frozen egged leftovers eggcellently 
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• motsol
    motsol Posts: 28
    I never thought I would like it but once you try it you're hooked!! Welcome to the dark side. I did Crème Brûlée this weekend and our guest raved!!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice cook!  SV has many applications.  Another arrow in the quiver.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Did 137.5 b/c my wife and mom like medium
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Hans61. Did you dear them after the bath?  If so, what temp and for how long per side?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Looks great.
    I have four filets I picked up at Sam's in the bath now.
    I'm doing mine at 131 Deg F. I don't have a lot of experience with filets, hopefully they will turn out good tomorrow night when I do the finish sear in cast iron.
    I had intended to do the full cook on the egg, but the weather is miserable here, a slow steady rain.
  • Hans61
    RedSkip said:
    @Hans61. Did you dear them after the bath?  If so, what temp and for how long per side?
    I patted them dry with paper towels, then added salt pepper and garlic powder and patted them with my hand.

Had my weber with a bed of hot kingsford. I kept the lid OFF the whole time, flipped about every 45secs approximately, all in all it was probably about 5-6 min of searing, just browned all sides. will definitely do this again, it was very very easy. 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GregW
    Hans61 said:
    Did 137.5 b/c my wife and mom like medium
    How long were they in the bath? Mine will be in the bath for 3 hrs or so to pasteurize to the core.
    I'm doing 131 Deg to allow me to sear them a little longer without over cooking. Mine will probably end up closer to the low end of medium.

• Hans61
    @GregW mine were from last fall. I froze them on wax paper for an hour, then food saver sealed and back in the freezer. Today I put them in the bath frozen around 245PM, and seared them around 530PM. I read its about 45 min per inch and add time and a half when frozen, no need to thaw with SV
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I was always skeptical of sous vide also... got one for xmas and I've been blown the f away since. 

This is was my first cook. Prime strip from Costco. 

• GregW
    Hans61 said:
    @GregW mine were from last fall. I froze them on wax paper for an hour, then food saver sealed and back in the freezer. Today I put them in the bath frozen around 245PM, and seared them around 530PM. I read its about 45 min per inch and add time and a half when frozen, no need to thaw with SV
    That's an excellent idea. Freezing and SV from the frozen state would save time. 
    Do you season after the SV bath? and if so does the steak absorb the seasoning well after the SV sook?
    I'm still a little confused about seasoning in the bag, or after during the sear. I've seen people do it both ways. I'm a little concerned that salt in the bag would lead to a lot of moisture loss.
  • I seasoned mine before and after bath. Cracked black pepper & salt. 

• Hans61
    @GregW I seasoned after the bath. SWMBO said she really liked the flavor of the crust. I think its fine either way. 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GregW
    I seasoned mine before and after bath. Cracked black pepper & salt. 

Thanks
  • Hans61
    @gregw - if going in frozen, I think you're fine to season after the bath. I tasted the seasoning, it was great! You'd have to thaw a little prior to seasoning and do an extra re-seal step when frozen. 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I'm thinking of trying burgers next. That's gotta be delicious 
  • I'm thinking of trying burgers next. That's gotta be delicious 
    Give turkey a shot.  Or chicken.  You will blow your mind.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • did chicken Breast tonight. So damn juicy & tender. 145 degrees for 90 min 
  • GregW
    I'm thinking of trying burgers next. That's gotta be delicious 
    I've done burgers before. I wasn't pleased. The texture wasn't good, and the flavor wasn't as good. 
    Please let me know how it works out for you, if you like it, I will give it another try.
  • Best part is zero shrinkage. 

Giggidy
  • GregW
    Best part is zero shrinkage. 

Giggidy
    That's what she said........
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,972
    @GregW for SV steaks there's no reason to pasteurize unless you're going to be going >4 hrs

(center of steak is sterile unless it was blade tenderized as Costco likes to do)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GregW
    blind99 said:
    @GregW for SV steaks there's no reason to pasteurize unless you're going to be going >4 hrs

(center of steak is sterile unless it was blade tenderized as Costco likes to do)
    An excellent point, one that I had read before and had forgotten about.
    Do you think, in the case of SV today and searing tomorrow night, would pasteurization be advisable? 
    I do plan to ice the filets down after they come out of the bath.
  • Hans61
    I was always skeptical of sous vide also... got one for xmas and I've been blown the f away since. 

This is was my first cook. Prime strip from Costco. 

Some say no forks... i dig the fork!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • That looks fantastic! Bravo on the steak and for providing yet another nudge to jump into the sous vide pool. You bastards are making it difficult to stay on the sideline with this tool.
    Stillwater, MN