Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoke question using 2 eggs?

I have a MM and a LBGE. Bought some dryer vent. Will use tape for hooking up from the MM dome to LBGE lower vent. Question is how much lump to use to minimize the heat and how much wood to put on? I have apple,cherry,pecan,hickory and maple wood (which should I use) western brand? Outside temp will be in the 30s. Same scenario as letting bad smoke wear off? 

Just got a food saver for Christmas and have been using it a lot. And now I finally want to do cheese.

Comments

• Build a 300-325 fire in the smaller egg. 

Amount of lump had no effect on the temp. 

Full egg, half full. Both can be held to 300

by the time the smoke gets to the smoke chamber it'll be cold enoug

• way easier to get one of these.

https://www.amazenproducts.com/

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Way easier? 
    Go to home depot and buy a length of 3" hose. No tape no nuthing. No amazon shipping. No pellets or sawdust

cram each end into opposite eggs and light one. Done. 

• Way easier? 
    Go to home depot and buy a length of 3" hose. No tape no nuthing. No amazon shipping. No pellets or sawdust

Vent to both domes?
  • Way easier? 

I'm holding on to my way easier dogma on this one. I've only had 11 bourbons and I'm comfortable with that.

Way easier.

You say no pellets, no shipping, I say no hose, no 2nd egg, no trip to Lowes. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    Second egg is the critical aspect

Except a cardboard box replaces the need for a second egg. 

Hose is cheaper. Available locally.  

Get out mah face
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited January 2017

Get out mah face
    I'll get out yah face and in to yah kitchen.

your new tag line is funny
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    You need very few coals in the smaller egg and a few chunks of wood will make lots of smoke. Put the plate setter in. You want just smoke going through the hose. If you have no plate setter and the fire gets too warm you'll melt the hose. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    edited January 2017
    That's the setup inside my small egg it makes tons of smoke. 

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    edited January 2017
    Thanks @blind99 I did buy the all aluminum vent also,because I thought about melting.

Also looks like you went dome to dome. Do you open the lower vent on the one with food in it then?
  • blind99
    Actually I run it into the bottom.  It might work fine the other way but I haven't tried it.   Here's the setup:

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I did this once with my mini and my large. I was trying to keep the temp down to 250 in the mini but the mistake I made was not using the daisy wheel in the mini. The draw created by the long tube pulled the temp up to 450-500 even with the draft slide nearly closed. Next time I try it, I will use the daisy wheel on the mini to keep the draw slowed down and see if that helps.

I was using cherry wood for smoke on some bacon and went through a lot of smoke wood as it burned up very quickly. The smoke was so intense that the bacon ended up being extremely tart (think cherry). I ended up using hickory pellets in the a-maze-n smoker for a few additional hours to try to balance it out. I need to practice to perfect this method as I wasn't very happy with the results.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Thanks for the useful  tips @minniemoh much appreciated!
  • blind99
    @blind99 Thank you sir!
    Hope this works for you, let us know!
    happy new year!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    minniemoh said:
    I did this once with my mini and my large. I was trying to keep the temp down to 250 in the mini but the mistake I made was not using the daisy wheel in the mini. The draw created by the long tube pulled the temp up to 450-500 even with the draft slide nearly closed. Next time I try it, I will use the daisy wheel on the mini to keep the draw slowed down and see if that helps.

I was using cherry wood for smoke on some bacon and went through a lot of smoke wood as it burned up very quickly. The smoke was so intense that the bacon ended up being extremely tart (think cherry). I ended up using hickory pellets in the a-maze-n smoker for a few additional hours to try to balance it out. I need to practice to perfect this method as I wasn't very happy with the results.

Try omiting the goofy redneck dryer vent contraption altogether, and run a gentler, cleaner, smoke with your a-maz-n only, over a longer time period.  Some here, get stuck in a rut, stagnate, and like their harsh and hard way.

The egg struggles with consistent good smoke flow, a weakness IMO.  The pics in this thread do a great job of showing, the smoke, you do not want.  Whisps of blue is where it's at.

Todd from a-maz-n in your neck of the woods sells sawdust for his units.  Wouldn't hurt to look into it.  I use his apple, pecan, and bourbon barrel, great stuff.
    http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/63.htm

You can thank me later.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Little lump and wood in the MM dryer vent from top to bottom of cleaned out Large. Easy peasy. Don't need that damn saw dust. 
  • Focker
    edited January 2017
    Smelling the whisps of burning dust is intoxicatingly sweet.  Different than the harsh puffing domehole, you see above. Different than any cooker I have run, minus the Karubecue.

If yer gonna denigrate....lol

Don't knock it til ya try it.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker

Get out mah face
    I'll get out yah face and in to yah kitchen.

your new tag line is funny
    I agree CT, wholeheartedly.
    Quoting yourself, another good smack of pretension. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I've had very good luck with the drier vent method. I run mine into a mailbox. I layer my LGE using lump, apple, lump, apple. I wait til I get the nice, clean, sweet smoke I like, stabilize the temp on the egg (using both lower vent and length smoke travels) to ensure the cold smoke temp inside the box is where I want it (55-60 degrees). For me, it's been Nova Scotia salmon -- I'm kind of obsessed. 

No question it's over engineered compared to the amaz n smoker. But for that matter, I coulda used a tin can or something equally simple. It may be goofy and redneck looking or generally not to anyone else's taste, but I'm happy with the set up and results and have been enjoying the ride, tweaking it as I go along and having a ball with the process. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I've had very good luck with the drier vent method. I run mine into a mailbox. I layer my LGE using lump, apple, lump, apple. I wait til I get the nice, clean, sweet smoke I like, stabilize the temp on the egg (using both lower vent and length smoke travels) to ensure the cold smoke temp inside the box is where I want it (55-60 degrees). For me, it's been Nova Scotia salmon -- I'm kind of obsessed. 

No question it's over engineered compared to the amaz n smoker. But for that matter, I coulda used a tin can or something equally simple. It may be goofy and redneck looking or generally not to anyone else's taste, but I'm happy with the set up and results and have been enjoying the ride, tweaking it as I go along and having a ball with the process. 

The Postman must love this.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:

way easier to get one of these.

https://www.amazenproducts.com/

1+ on this for cheese.  easy peasy for couple hours.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I've had very good luck with the drier vent method. I run mine into a mailbox. I layer my LGE using lump, apple, lump, apple. I wait til I get the nice, clean, sweet smoke I like, stabilize the temp on the egg (using both lower vent and length smoke travels) to ensure the cold smoke temp inside the box is where I want it (55-60 degrees). For me, it's been Nova Scotia salmon -- I'm kind of obsessed. 

Ah man. I literally pitched out the mailbox that the snow plow took down last year. They replaced it including the box so I had hung onto the box since it was still in decent shape. Now I wish I still had it. Shoot. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac said:

Ah man. I literally pitched out the mailbox that the snow plow took down last year. They replaced it including the box so I had hung onto the box since it was still in decent shape. Now I wish I still had it. Shoot. 

Thr chamberror cold smoking can be anything. A cardboard box is fine. Bigger the better

there's no significant heat in that smoke

• Everything is going good...as long as 44° isn't to cold for the smoke box. It held that temp for a hour so I put some tester cheese on. The mini max is 237. Air temp is 34°
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    gmac said:

Thr chamberror cold smoking can be anything. A cardboard box is fine. Bigger the better

there's no significant heat in that smoke

Yeah. It was more intended as a tip of the hat to his clever use of the mailbox. If I was gonna start from scratch I'd be going with a plywood box on stilt legs with the racks I took out of my beer fridge when I converted it to hold kegs. 
    But a mailbox is a neat idea too. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.