Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
planning on doing a beef tenderloin for the New Year. Never done one before and it's expensive cut of meat. Just trying to get some tips on cook temp and time. 

Comments

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I second johnincarolina. I did one for Christmas and it was amazing. Even bought the apl book, serious barbecue, after the fact. 
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    I've always had good luck with tenderloin, pretty easy cook. Just did one for Christmas:

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @J-dubya whoa that is perfectly cooked!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I did the Adam Perry Lang Whole Beef Tenderloin with Honey and Worcestershire Crust for Christmas dinner. I had complements from all of the guests. The paste, rub, glaze and board sauce combined gave the beef an excellent flavor. 7 lb tenderloin 11 gusts and 0 leftovers. I took about 8 minutes to sear then another 35 minutes to finish. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I can get the glaze and ribs easy but my biggest issue is cooking temp. Do I sear first on 500-600 degrees and then bring it down to 300 degrees? I'm a newbie but have gotten pretty good and getting my tenor exact. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    A two temp cook is a classic approach.  Traditionally, the approach you describe was used - high temp for crust development and then low temp (225-250º) to finish the inside.  More recently, the order of the high and low portions of the cook have been reversed by some.  Many eggers find it easier to raise temps in an egg rather than lower them.  The reverse sear method seems to be popular with eggers because of this.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A two temp cook is a classic approach.  Traditionally, the approach you describe was used - high temp for crust development and then low temp (225-250º) to finish the inside.  More recently, the order of the high and low portions of the cook have been reversed by some.  Many eggers find it easier to raise temps in an egg rather than lower them.  The reverse sear method seems to be popular with eggers because of this.  
    I'm not sure why.  Dropping a cold PS into place tends to lower the BGE temp considerably.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I'm not sure why.  Dropping a cold PS into place tends to lower the BGE temp considerably.  
    And not only that, 600 direct is much much hotter than 600 indirect
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great reverse sear cut.  Pull at 115 rest, then sear.  Then rest uncovered for MR.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga