Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Dinner

Options
Every once in a while, things come together.  My son and new wife (foodies) wanted roasted oysters and home made pizza for dinner.  He tried to replicate oysters from Cristiano's in New Orleans.  But, it essentially came down to this: about a TB of unsalted butter, small amounts of diced sundried red tomato, garlic, pepper, topped with equal amounts of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and a single sprig of rosemary.  I stabilized the egg at 400 with a decent amount of smoke from apple wood left over from a recent cook.  They cooked for about 7 minutes - long enough for the cheeses to completely melt and start to bubble. 

Once consumed, pizzas were next.  Typically I use the dough recipe from the Green Egg cookbook, but as good as it is we did not have time.  Central Market sells a ready to use pizza dough, each large enough for two personal thin crust pizzas.  We tried it last night for the first time.  Everyone chose their options.  Mushroom, pepper, pepperoni, grilled onion, etc. 

I put the platesetter legs down and the pizza stone directly on top.  I know most people like to vent it about an inch above, but I have never had a problem with it directly on the PS.  Opened the vents and increased the temp to about 550 - 600.  We rolled the dough for a thin crust and topped each with a little amount of sauce and then toppings and the cheese.  Each pizza cooks for about 6-7 minutes - long enough that the dough lifts firmly when raised on the edge. 

Crispy crust, lightly browned on the outside.  Firm enough where it does not flop when picked up. 

To top off the evening, a good friend had sent over a bottle of a world class Super Tuscan - 2012 Sassicaia.  It was a world class pairing with the pizza. 

Friends, this was the first time we had cooked pizza on the Egg since being paralyzed 4 years ago.  So allow me to be just a little maudlin when I say that the meals we cook on the Egg are not just food for our bodies, they are sustenance for our souls.  The meal last night night was all that, topped off with wondrous joy. 

Merry Christmas to you all,
Don

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would like to post my phone for the next time you do that cook. Please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks good :) where in TX are you?

And that's the first oyster doohickey I've seen like that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.