Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cook, Another Try

Options
dsleight
dsleight Posts: 101
Went to the store to pick up a chicken for supper, came back with this slab of meat as well. 15 pound USDA prime brisket for $1.97 per pound. 

Watched a couple of videos on trimming this thing, but I am not sure I have it down.  I was afraid to hack at it too much, as it is I removed 4.2 pounds of fat and 1 pound of trimmed off meat.  I ran the trimmed off meat through a grounder for lunch burgers Wednesday.

Here it is straight out of the package.

And here it is after I chopped on it for a bit.  Muscle side.

Fat side.  I removed a bit of fat from under the hump and then just let the flap back down,  is this a good idea or should I be doing something else here?

I am starting this cook Wednesday morning, so I still have some time to correct things (if I have not already goofed too bad).

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I'm not going to claim to be biggest expert around where trimming a brisket is concerned but that looks like a very good trim to me.  It looks like you got the big chunks of hard fat off and the fat cap is roughly the right thickness.  It is hard to get it perfectly uniform. 

There are definitely some who could do better on the uniformity but I am not one of them so I'd declare victory if I were you.  Good luck on the rest of the process and keep us posted.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    As above, close enough to declare victory.  Sent you a PM with some brisket cook insights from the school of hard-knocks.  
    Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    At least you, unlike me, only trimmed your brisket and not your finger!!!!

Can't wait to see the finish line!  Enjoy your cook!!!!!!!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • dsleight
    Options
    Right or wrong, good or bad, this cook is off and running.  Put the brisket on the grate at 6:15AM.  I was not able to take any photos with it on the egg, by the time I remembered it was already shut up and I didn't want to open.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Standing By
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • duckman1958
    Options
    Waiting to see this bad boy! Stall/No Stall...let us know.
  • dsleight
    Options
    Brisket went into the stall around 12:45PM, approximately 45 minutes into the stall I wrapped it in paper.  

Brisket is setting at 158 degrees, should I leave the paper until the final temperature or pull it off once the internal temperature starts climbing again?

Teaser photo.

• tikigriller
    Options
    I leave mine wrapped until the end. Just gets a little tricky to prove for the butter feeling, so at the end when it hits temp, I tend to unwrap and then probe until I get the right feel. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Leave it in the paper.  When it is done, still leave it in the paper until it is time to slice it.  When you slice it, drag each slice through the brisket juice that is contained within the bottom of the paper as you put it on the plate.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dsleight
    Options
    OK, the brisket came off the egg and into the cooler at 4:05PM (internal temperature was 199).  I have no idea what I am feeling for, but the temperature probe was easy to stick in at several places (I would need to probe a stick of butter to see the comparison-I guess).  Planning on eating around 6:00PM, that should give it about 2 hours in the cooler.  Pictures coming after dinner, hopefully they are worth posting.

Total cook time was right around 9 hours 50 minutes, this brisket was 10 pounds after trimming (right around 1 hour per pound).
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I believe you have some suggestions about the whole brisket probe deal somewhere  ;)  And the key is the thick part of the flat.  The point will probe smooth, like buttah well in advance of the flat getting loose.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I hear brisket makes a hell of a burger ground up....
    Seattle, WA
  • dsleight
    Options
    I am going to put a check mark in the win column.  There is always room for improvement, but this was very edible.  About 3 inches of the flat was a little dry for my liking, but the rest was beautiful.  The aroma when I unwrapped this thing was mouth watering, it was a nice mixture of smoke and spices.

I would like to thank everyone that provided information for this cook, it turned out great.

Out of the wrap.

Sliced up.  There is a small smoke ring present.

Drooping slice.  I probably cut the slices a little thick, but it still tastes the same.

• tikigriller
    Options
    Congrats on the cook!!!  That looks incredible!!!!!

Livermore, California
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nailed it-congrats on the cook and result.  Most eggcellent.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice job! That bark and the moist slices are top notch.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Looks like a winner!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO