Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Do you still read a newspaper?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina as I said, maybe corrupt is the wrong word. 
    That does seem likely given that the most common definition is someone who is guilty of dishonest practices.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love #13!  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options

@JustineCaseyFeldown fair points about Oreilly.

If you think today's press is doing a good job or even trying to do so, I wholeheartedly disagree. They are mostly left wing activists. By definition they should not be journalists. 
    By "press" do you mean "media" or print journalism in particular? What, if any, reliable media does exist and where is it found or does it just require weighing the inherent biases of each and falling someplace in the middle?
    The bias is at least 1000 - 1 in favor of the liberals. You are on the right track about being aware, but at least 1/2 the country aren't. I would argue that Fox, for instance, leans right, but less right than the MSM leans left. People are so conditioned from digesting the left bias, they often don't even realize it's biased opinion and not news or fact. When you say it's in the middle, I'm not sure that is true. When the bias is so dramatically greater in one direction, it would be a big win for the left for people to accept your premise. Hey, perspective is everything and my perspective is mine. Your perspective is yours. That's fine I guess. I just feel the media is totally corrupt as is a large swath of academia. Maybe corrupt is the wrong term, maybe. 
    This is hilarious because Fox News is almost non-stop opinion/entertainment (some would say GOP propaganda).   Very few of their shows are focused on delivering news as opposed to opinion.  Maybe what, Shep Smith's show?

ETA:

As for academia, what is the basis for your assertion that a large swath of it is corrupt?
    Exactly. A guy like yourself doesn't even see the gross bias in the other direction by all other outlets. All you ever see is the Fox slant (which is definitely slanted) I'm telling you ALL the other outlets are as bad or worse in the opposite direction. Worse for one because the try to mask and deceive ignorant people with their opinions pawned off as fact or news. I have absolutely no doubt you cannot see it. 

Almost all all of them think similarly to you. Even you must admit at least half the people don't think as you do. Why do all the professors have to lean one way? Free speech! Oh, except for Condoleezza Rice and others. Right? The marketplace of ideas is closed in many universities and students are called vile names if they speak out. You know it's true. It's pathetic and a driver of mediocrity. 
    I never said anything about the other outlets.  I just found the notion that Fox was somehow much less biased to be funny.  I think it's pretty subjective which side is "more" or "less" biased in cable news.  I'm not even sure how one would go about quantifying it in any manner that you'd find acceptable.  

As to your second paragraph, it doesn't really answer my question.  What do you mean by "corrupt" ?  What evidence is there to support your claim?  All I see in your response is opinion.  

All professors don't have to lean one way.  We don't ask what political party people belong to when they apply to positions.  In fact, during any interview I've ever been involved with, I can't recall a single instance in which politics even came up.  We mostly talk about science and engineering, because that's what my colleagues actually care the most about believe it or not.  

One of the main people involved with Trump's campaign was a Duke student who routinely wrote opinion pieces in the student newspaper.  I don't recall him ever being shouted down or ostracized, even though I suspect many people on campus disagreed with his views.  

When I've raised this issue with faculty in liberal arts their response is that they tend to take the opposite position to the students during lecture, regardless of what it is.  The reason is simple.  They are trying to develop the students' critical thinking skills, and providing some kind of echo chamber doesn't do that.  In fact, it does just the opposite.  

Where did you go to school by the way?  I'm just asking because your perception is quite a bit different from any other place I'm familiar with, but I admit that different campuses have different cultures.  

Another fun fact - the alt-right/White Nationalist/douchebag leader that has been in the news of late - Richard Spencer -  was a former Phd student studying European intellectual history at that bastion of liberal orthodoxy/brainwashing...wait for it... Duke.

He was also, a member of the Duke Conservative Union. Wait..what? A top tier university has a conservative student organization. That can't be right can it? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:

If you think today's press is doing a good job or even trying to do so, I wholeheartedly disagree. They are mostly left wing activists. By definition they should not be journalists. 
    By "press" do you mean "media" or print journalism in particular? What, if any, reliable media does exist and where is it found or does it just require weighing the inherent biases of each and falling someplace in the middle?
    The bias is at least 1000 - 1 in favor of the liberals. You are on the right track about being aware, but at least 1/2 the country aren't. I would argue that Fox, for instance, leans right, but less right than the MSM leans left. People are so conditioned from digesting the left bias, they often don't even realize it's biased opinion and not news or fact. When you say it's in the middle, I'm not sure that is true. When the bias is so dramatically greater in one direction, it would be a big win for the left for people to accept your premise. Hey, perspective is everything and my perspective is mine. Your perspective is yours. That's fine I guess. I just feel the media is totally corrupt as is a large swath of academia. Maybe corrupt is the wrong term, maybe. 
    This is hilarious because Fox News is almost non-stop opinion/entertainment (some would say GOP propaganda).   Very few of their shows are focused on delivering news as opposed to opinion.  Maybe what, Shep Smith's show?

ETA:

As for academia, what is the basis for your assertion that a large swath of it is corrupt?
    Exactly. A guy like yourself doesn't even see the gross bias in the other direction by all other outlets. All you ever see is the Fox slant (which is definitely slanted) I'm telling you ALL the other outlets are as bad or worse in the opposite direction. Worse for one because the try to mask and deceive ignorant people with their opinions pawned off as fact or news. I have absolutely no doubt you cannot see it. 

Almost all all of them think similarly to you. Even you must admit at least half the people don't think as you do. Why do all the professors have to lean one way? Free speech! Oh, except for Condoleezza Rice and others. Right? The marketplace of ideas is closed in many universities and students are called vile names if they speak out. You know it's true. It's pathetic and a driver of mediocrity. 
    I never said anything about the other outlets.  I just found the notion that Fox was somehow much less biased to be funny.  I think it's pretty subjective which side is "more" or "less" biased in cable news.  I'm not even sure how one would go about quantifying it in any manner that you'd find acceptable.  

As to your second paragraph, it doesn't really answer my question.  What do you mean by "corrupt" ?  What evidence is there to support your claim?  All I see in your response is opinion.  

All professors don't have to lean one way.  We don't ask what political party people belong to when they apply to positions.  In fact, during any interview I've ever been involved with, I can't recall a single instance in which politics even came up.  We mostly talk about science and engineering, because that's what my colleagues actually care the most about believe it or not.  

One of the main people involved with Trump's campaign was a Duke student who routinely wrote opinion pieces in the student newspaper.  I don't recall him ever being shouted down or ostracized, even though I suspect many people on campus disagreed with his views.  

When I've raised this issue with faculty in liberal arts their response is that they tend to take the opposite position to the students during lecture, regardless of what it is.  The reason is simple.  They are trying to develop the students' critical thinking skills, and providing some kind of echo chamber doesn't do that.  In fact, it does just the opposite.  

Where did you go to school by the way?  I'm just asking because your perception is quite a bit different from any other place I'm familiar with, but I admit that different campuses have different cultures.  

Another fun fact - the alt-right/White Nationalist/douchebag leader that has been in the news of late - Richard Spencer -  was a former Phd student studying European intellectual history at that bastion of liberal orthodoxy/brainwashing...wait for it... Duke.

He was also, a member of the Duke Conservative Union. Wait..what? A top tier university has a conservative student organization. That can't be right can it? :)
    Great point????? Nice try to equivocate. I never heard of the Alt right until MSM made the idiots famous. Again, really great point there!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited December 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:

ETA:

Yes we do have a conservative student group on campus and they're pretty active.  I think the guy who works for Trump now was definitely part of that.  

I'm sure many campuses (Duke's included) aren't easy places for conservative students to openly express their opinions.  But I would contend that this is because the majority of students tend to be liberal (because they're, ahem, young!) and not because the faculty are actively stifling differing opinions or points of view.  

I don't think I've ever expressed a view on politics in class or one-on-one in my office.  There's no time for it, not in engineering.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I wouldn't expect political speech in your classes. It's not at all relevant 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I wouldn't expect political speech in your classes. It's not at all relevant 
    OK.  Then how would you see my "bias" impacting the culture on campus?
  • pgprescott
    Options
    OK.  Then how would you see my "bias" impacting the culture on campus?
    Did I?
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited December 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Does it add anything to the discussion to note that Breitbart's Milo Yiannopoulos was just uninvited to speak at North Dakota State University?
    Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I did not go to a school that would be considered liberal in the realm of higher education, but I still believe academia is far more liberal, and unabashedly at that, than the mainstream media. I had a several profs like John where it simply never came up, but others were not shy and in some cases downright disrespectful (and even in classes where politics should really even come up).
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Does it add anything to the discussion to note that Breitbart's Milo Yiannopoulos was just uninvited to speak at North Dakota State University?
    He was probably uninvited because he is a flaming a-hole troll not just because he is a conservative.

On the other hand, I have no idea which way the culture leans at North Dakota State University? It could be a hot bed of flaming left wing radicalism for all I know.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    ...I'm sure many campuses (Duke's included) aren't easy places for conservative students to openly express their opinions.  But I would contend that this is because the majority of students tend to be liberal (because they're, ahem, young!) and not because the faculty are actively stifling differing opinions or points of view...
    Right on!

• HeavyG
    Options
    ... but I still believe academia is far more liberal, and unabashedly at that...
    Well of course they are. After all, most of them teach the "liberal arts"!!

=) 

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

ETA:

Great point????? Nice try to equivocate. I never heard of the Alt right until MSM made the idiots famous. Again, really great point there!
    The simple point was that you'll find all kinds of students at all kinds of schools. The student body of many schools will likely skew to some degree towards one side of the political spectrum and that side isn't necessarily the far left. I doubt you'll find many "bleeding heart liberals" at such places as Liberty University or Regent University.

Here's a fun site where you can go plug in the name of a university and get a sense of how (by one metric) they rank on the liberal vs. conservative spectrum:
    https://www.crowdpac.com/games/lookup/universities

I have no idea whether post-secondary education is, in general, an indoctrination/training ground for left wing radicals and neither do you. All you know is what you have read or heard from whatever media outlets you choose to believe. And I'm guessing that since you stated earlier in regards to media bias:  quote - " I'm telling you ALL the other outlets are as bad or worse in the opposite direction."  - unquote (meaning left wing bias) you must be getting all your info from the one true unbiased source of info. I'd love to know what that is so I can start reading it.

Perceptions of media bias have been changing in the last few decades. Fifty or sixty years ago most people thought that most newspapers were fair. Nowadays, most people think the media is biased. What changed? Has the media, en masse, swung to one side of the spectrum or is it just that as people have become more polarized in their views their perceptions are likewise skewed? Beats me.

As far as the bozos of the alt-right, if you're going to blame the media for making them famous I would say that also applies to Trump's success. The "yuge" amount of free publicity he received as compared to the other GOP candidates certainly worked to his advantage - as Trump himself has admitted. So there you go - the liberal media created the Trump presidency. Kinda ironical ain't it?

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I read five newspapers every morning, along with about six news sites and a couple of news aggregators. I do it all on line. It's amazing (or maybe not) how different outlets spin the same story different ways.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

ETA:

The simple point was that you'll find all kinds of students at all kinds of schools. The student body of many schools will likely skew to some degree towards one side of the political spectrum and that side isn't necessarily the far left. I doubt you'll find many "bleeding heart liberals" at such places as Liberty University or Regent University.

Here's a fun site where you can go plug in the name of a university and get a sense of how (by one metric) they rank on the liberal vs. conservative spectrum:
    https://www.crowdpac.com/games/lookup/universities

I have no idea whether post-secondary education is, in general, an indoctrination/training ground for left wing radicals and neither do you. All you know is what you have read or heard from whatever media outlets you choose to believe. And I'm guessing that since you stated earlier in regards to media bias:  quote - " I'm telling you ALL the other outlets are as bad or worse in the opposite direction."  - unquote (meaning left wing bias) you must be getting all your info from the one true unbiased source of info. I'd love to know what that is so I can start reading it.

Perceptions of media bias have been changing in the last few decades. Fifty or sixty years ago most people thought that most newspapers were fair. Nowadays, most people think the media is biased. What changed? Has the media, en masse, swung to one side of the spectrum or is it just that as people have become more polarized in their views their perceptions are likewise skewed? Beats me.

As far as the bozos of the alt-right, if you're going to blame the media for making them famous I would say that also applies to Trump's success. The "yuge" amount of free publicity he received as compared to the other GOP candidates certainly worked to his advantage - as Trump himself has admitted. So there you go - the liberal media created the Trump presidency. Kinda ironical ain't it?
    Uh yeah? Again you find an exception or two that proves the rule. I'm sure you believe you're correct. That's fine. 

The media is totally in the tank for the left. They are in fact an activist group. If you wish to deny it, that's fine. Informed people are waking up to the level of bias and deception, but many sheep still remain. The media definitely aided Trump in primary because they incorrectly assumed they were ultimately helping Clinton. This was also terribly improper on their part, but it is their motives and intentions which are so offensive. People have to ask why something is done not just that it was done. I can assure you the media didn't elevate Trump in order to help him become president. It was to defeat opponents that thought were a much greater threat to another liberal President. Plain to see. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

HeavyG said:
    ...I'm sure many campuses (Duke's included) aren't easy places for conservative students to openly express their opinions.  But I would contend that this is because the majority of students tend to be liberal (because they're, ahem, young!) and not because the faculty are actively stifling differing opinions or points of view...
    Right on!
    This is at least a reasonable opinion. My opinion is that many kids are bullied away from their thoughts and feelings, starting in grade school, because no one likes to be called vile names for their beliefs. It's easier just to go along with the group think. It's bad for our country in the long term. 

Btw, if you're not 100% for Ben Carson, you're a racist! Ha ha. Funny ain't it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

This is at least a reasonable opinion. My opinion is that many kids are bullied away from their thoughts and feelings, starting in grade school, because no one likes to be called vile names for their beliefs. It's easier just to go along with the group think. It's bad for our country in the long term. 

Lot of grade school kids talking politics in your neck of the woods Pete? =)

It has been entertaining to watch conservatives defend the Carson appointment to HUD on the basis of.... well nothing really.  There's no reasonable defense for it.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options

It has been entertaining to watch conservatives defend the Carson appointment to HUD on the basis of.... well nothing really.  There's no reasonable defense for it.  
    actually i found it amusing to see all the grade schoolers putting signs up during the nomination election. bernie was the clear winner as far as 10 year olds went.  during the presidential election not a sign but there must have been complaints after the nominations. there was maybe 50 kids with signs on the second floor in the windows over the voting area
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    Options

Yes. Pay attention. 

Are you a racist? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    aol news is the best. on gores meeting with trump yesterday on climate change, gore found the meeting interesting. just needed to put that out there incase anyone missed that great article
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    Options
    The kids are taught to think a certain way or you are a bigot or racist or just a generally a horrible  person. Being impressionable, the vast majority are easily plied to a liberal position as a default. I take it you don't have kids in grade school? Maybe you aren't offended by this process? This is why there is a big gap between the current commanders ratings and the ratings of his policies. No one wants to be a racist by disagreeing with him, therefore, they don't answer the polls honestly. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options

actually i found it amusing to see all the grade schoolers putting signs up during the nomination election. bernie was the clear winner as far as 10 year olds went.  during the presidential election not a sign but there must have been complaints after the nominations. there was maybe 50 kids with signs on the second floor in the windows over the voting area
    My son(9) approached me a few times this fall, about why he would vote for Hillary, and why not, Trump.  He then grilled me after he asked who I liked.  Said they talk about it at school.....4th grade.  I highly doubt the kids are watching the news over cartoons, or having these conversations on the bus, or out at recess on the jungle jim. lol

He's a Cub fan too.  I failed him as a father.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Yes. Pay attention. 

Are you a racist? 
    If this is all you have, then thanks for making my point. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    This thread took a political turn for the worse.  Who could've predicted this would happen here :dizzy:  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL we don't read the Times Union (Jacksonville) at my house. In fact, when I first got on the fire department the Times Union was at every station. Now you wont find it anywhere at any station. This is mainly because the paper was continuously attack our pension from one point of view, Ron Littlepage's view. Interestingly enough there seems to be a lot of political confusion around the fire service as most of us a conservative republicans, including myself, who are a part of a union and who are fighting for our pensions. Seems like an oxymoron as these issues are not well supported by the Republican party. But I digress.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • pgprescott
    Options

Yes. Pay attention. 

Are you a racist? 
    If this is all you have, then thanks for making my point. 
    You must have missed how I used your own tactics from the Obama years as my feeble argument. It was intentionally feeble. See what I did there? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @MaC122 The Florida Times-Union was delivered to my house for like a month straight. I didn't order it nor did I request it. Called them to make sure that I wasn't being charged for this and they said it was a complimentary thing :confused: needless to say they finally stopped coming to our driveway. I get most of my news online. And I don't care what day it is the headliner is always so-and-so shot Northwest Jacksonville or somewhere on the Northside.   just once it would be nice to open up my browser and see a feel-good story in lieu of murder and mayhem.   I understand it is their job to report the news but it doesn't all need to be Doom and Gloom. And yes I remember how hell-bent they were on chastising the FD pension plan.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Brush ejd rjdg ddjs qkdux hskv73$. +$;$(_
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker