Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First egg thanksgiving turkey stress

Options
I was happily delegated the thanksgiving turkey duties this year. taking over from several years of another family members famous fried turkey. I have a 21 lb all natural turkey which i didnt brine but I did inject it with a butter mix just before putting on the egg at 325 at 10:30 am.

it was definitely confusing reading all the posts about how long it would take to cook. i thought i played it safe at 5-6 hours. wrong. im at 3 hours right now and breast is at 165 so im about to check it all over with thermapen and make sure its ready throughout.

Dinner isnt planned on being served for another 3 hours so im going to follow the FTC (foil to cooler) approach and pray that the bird stays hot and moist. ive been reading others posts now from previous years and seems ill be ok.

always fun to learn and adapt on the fly.  happy thanksgiving! ill update later on how it turns out,
Woodstock, GA

Comments

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    yup...the egg cooks these birds faster. Mine was done in 2 1/2 hours at 350f. 20 lb bird
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    20# 3.5 HR no idea on temp. Only thing with FTC is skin may lose crispiness

this is third yr and they've all gone fast
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    Yup.  You will be fine.   Better early than late.  Foil cooler is the key. 
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great looking bird-wish that the timing was better.  The FTC will get it home with no worries on the temp-unfortunatley the skin will lose the crispness.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Foil it, Towel it, Cooler it and it will keep for 3 or 4 hours. Your cook looks awesome, the skin has that really crisp look - after the FTC it will look as good, but you may find some of the crispness gone. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!