Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to? Bone in pork loin roast

Hi all, I picked up some things to grill over the holiday weekend and one item is a 5.6lb bone in pork loin roast. What is the best temperature for cooking this thing indirect and about how long to expect on cook time? Thanks in advance

Comments

• It's a pork roast. Any temp really

we go low if we have time (225-250). 325 to 350 is a typical cookbook temp

indirect (i.e. Roasting) is the no fuss way to cook. I'm sure some go direct. I have no time for that myself

135-140 internal temp. Will take a couple/few hours at lower temps. 

It can rest a half hour on the cutting board
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    I would shot for 140 internal temp.  I did a 2 to 3 pound pork loin roast a few weeks ago at about 260 for 2 hours.  My guess on time at 250 to 275 would be 3.5 to 4 hours for what you have.  I would plan on 5 or more just to be safe.  Not sure if the bone in will be any slower.  Here is what I did.  I also marinaded it.  Good luck.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200676/pork-loin-roast-for-dinner#latest
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • It won't take that long. Heat comes in from the sides. No matter how long you get, they take the same amount of time once you are as long as you are wide, roast-size-wise

e.g.  a foot long hot dog takes no longer to cook than a shorter one
  • Also what about a pan of veggies cooking under the roast?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810

Also what about a pan of veggies cooking under the roast?

That will affect the cooking time of the roast as it will restrict airflow. Thus slightly increasing your cooking time of the roast. However in no way will hurt or cause ill affects to your roast. It will simply increase its cooking time for the reason already mentioned above. 
    However the roast dripping into your vegetables will work wonders on them. Go for it brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks SGH, do I need to add any liquid to the veggie pan?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810

Thanks SGH, do I need to add any liquid to the veggie pan?

That kind of depends on what you are cooking and the desired end result that you are shooting for. Is a liquid a must? Depending on what you are cooking, no, it is not. With that said, I like to use a liquid with vegetables. It gives me something to sop biscuits and cornbread in. But thats just me my friend. 

Just curious, what vegetables are you cooking?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Potatoes, carrots, chopped onion, and chopped green bell peppers. Might even throw some asparagus in toward the end. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    They turn out great! 
    Indirect at 225 ish til 110F internal, then bumped to 400F till 135'ish internal. Rested for about 10-15 while sides were prepared.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Wow! I hope mine turn out that nice
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Damn dude. that looks killer