Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermoworks Smoke performance ?

Options
Now that a few have had the TW Smoke for a while, how is it compared to the Maverick regarding range? My house is somewhat of a problem child regarding the Mav to be able to reside in my bedroom and give me an alert on an overnight cook. 
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I've used mine several times. I can tell you that the Pro-Series probes are light years better than the Maverick's. I've had good connectivity and good readings throughout the use so far. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    On various forums I've read accounts where folks are pleased with the range and other accounts where people are very disappointed with the range.

I'm not sure why some folks were expecting some sort of miraculous increase in real world distance since the Smoke uses the same 2.4ghz frequency band as most all of the other such devices.

I'm pleased with mine but I was more interested in the better quality probes more than anything else.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Just wait for the wifi module. That will solve any distance problems. Using wifi on my FB and CyberQ is great.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

The probes may be better than others, but they are nowhere near the quality of the K probes.  The unit is terrific though, and I'm just really careful with the probes.  

As to range, it works well for me - my house is brick.

Phoenix 
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I was not expecting a drastic increase in range (I operate a ham radio station so am realistic regarding that) but was hoping that TW had done a better job at tweaking the tuning of the units to get better reception. I will likely watch to see if they have any Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials though it is likely too new to expect that and later pick up the wifi module.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I was not expecting a drastic increase in range (I operate a ham radio station so am realistic regarding that) but was hoping that TW had done a better job at tweaking the tuning of the units to get better reception. I will likely watch to see if they have any Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials though it is likely too new to expect that and later pick up the wifi module.
    I am a Ham (W4MKH) also. I need to remember to renew my General license next year.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Bepier
    Bepier Posts: 22
    Options
    Not range related and can't compare to other products, but I'll chime in anyway.  

I find the lowest alarm volume too loud!  Now - I need to dial in my temp control, but good grief!  I also wish you could turn off the handset alarm AND the base alarm through use of the handset.  The handset only turns off the handset, so you have to walk out and turn off the base.  

For most probably a non-issue, maybe I just need to turn the alarms off in that event and manage it differently when I hit my dome temp upper/lower limits.  
    Cumming, GA
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Tried to use mine for the first time yesterday and the remote would not connect to the base. Tried all usual fixes and finally called thermoworks and they are sending a replacement remote unit. They were pretty quick about issuing a new remote without asking too many questions, makes me wonder if this might be common. Other than that I found the base unit nicer than my Maverick or iGrill2 (miss the 4 probe ports though)
  • bigbadben
    Options
    If I remember correctly the YouTuber baby back maniac tested the range compared to his maverick. They were similar.  Check out his video for the details.  
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I just picked one up last week. They look and feel very solid (much more solid than my 1st gen iGrill). Very simple to use. But the range is no better than my old bluetooth iGrill. Not a huge issue for my home. 

I'll likely buy the WiFi unit when it comes out.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Bepier said:
    Not range related and can't compare to other products, but I'll chime in anyway.  

I find the lowest alarm volume too loud!  Now - I need to dial in my temp control, but good grief!  I also wish you could turn off the handset alarm AND the base alarm through use of the handset.  The handset only turns off the handset, so you have to walk out and turn off the base.  

For most probably a non-issue, maybe I just need to turn the alarms off in that event and manage it differently when I hit my dome temp upper/lower limits.  
    I have one of their timers and I had to put a piece of tape over the rear speaker vent to tune down the volume. As you said, even the lowest setting is too loud.
    But solid products...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Solid products for sure.  Last order I added one of their aprons, and even that was well made.

It just occurred to me that here we are discussing 3rd party controllers.  Yet Blake's third party table thread gets nuked.

I don't see how one is less egg related than the other.

Phoenix