Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So...Ummm...What's Mothership Gonna Do?

Options

Comments

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Ahora tendré que ver si puedo conseguir un trabajo pintando el lado mexicano de la 

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,359
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    Was Ford really going to move from Kentucky when they announced last year they were spending $1.3 billion on their Kentucky truck plant?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-ford-motor-idUSKBN13D08J

Meanwhile, Ford continues to build its plant in Mexico and has announced sticking with plans to move production of the Ford Focus there.

Who knows what will happen?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Dobie said:
    What politicians say to get elected and how they govern are usually different. 

Your getting Mr. Trump mixed up with a democrat .
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    As I wrote in another post ,me and many of my age got screwed over by a Liberal commie democrat named Johnson and his followers in the 60's.Goldwater the Republican is going to start a war ,I also have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.  If you want to see corrupt politicians just look at the Dem's ,they wrote the book.  Kennedy brothers weren't womanizers is like saying Hillary broke no laws . Change the party affiliation to republican and there would have been a linch mob waiting for them .
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    No mater what all ya' alls say, I think there is a significant cost of production problem brewing for BGE. I think that problem will start hitting the BGE checking account in about 9 months. 

It would be wonderful if a BGE a year from now had the tint Georgia red clay --or Arizona or New Mexico ( well known US states that have a deep history in clay and ceramics). But I don't think production is coming back to the US, it's too expensive taking into account to the margins BGE is used to making.

What should be really troubling to BGE is that passing off all additional costs will bring the cost of a Large (their core product) to the end user to over $1,000. There is going to be a lot of resistance to pay over $1,000 for a glorified flower pot.

Growth in the future does not look good at this point in time. If I were an analyst I say that reported sales are going to shrink this time next year. :0(

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • HeavyG
    Options
    bobroo said:
    No mater what all ya' alls say, I think there is a significant cost of production problem brewing for BGE. I think that problem will start hitting the BGE checking account in about 9 months. 

It would be wonderful if a BGE a year from now had the tint Georgia red clay --or Arizona or New Mexico ( well known US states that have a deep history in clay and ceramics). But I don't think production is coming back to the US, it's too expensive taking into account to the margins BGE is used to making.

What should be really troubling to BGE is that passing off all additional costs will bring the cost of a Large (their core product) to the end user to over $1,000. There is going to be a lot of resistance to pay over $1,000 for a glorified flower pot.

Growth in the future does not look good at this point in time. If I were an analyst I say that reported sales are going to shrink this time next year. :0(

As I had said in a buffaloed thread a week ago the chances of Trump actually following thru on his proposed 35% tariff on imported Mexican goods is pretty close to nil. BGE likely has nothing to worry about on that front.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Moving production or not, BGE took a business nose dive several years ago and is going to have a hard time recovering. They have been riding on the fact that the ceramic grill market has been expanding; but their proportional market share is getting eaten alive by the likes of Vision and KJ. These products are perfect substitutes for Green Eggs, and are substantially cheaper. Add to that the fact that KJ innovates with fun new cooking surfaces, etc. and there is a better value argument all around for going with a less costly alternative to BGE. What has BGE done about it? They have made a marketing argument for BGE as the best. This argument will hold with a very few diehard Eggheads who will only buy Green, which is a very small portion of the market. BGE can't afford to raise their prices until a fully loaded Egg (nest, shelves, indirect setup) is the same cost as a KJ.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    bobroo said:

We pay well over $1000 for a large here in Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,214
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    Moving production or not, BGE took a business nose dive several years ago and is going to have a hard time recovering. They have been riding on the fact that the ceramic grill market has been expanding; but their proportional market share is getting eaten alive by the likes of Vision and KJ. These products are perfect substitutes for Green Eggs, and are substantially cheaper. Add to that the fact that KJ innovates with fun new cooking surfaces, etc. and there is a better value argument all around for going with a less costly alternative to BGE. What has BGE done about it? They have made a marketing argument for BGE as the best. This argument will hold with a very few diehard Eggheads who will only buy Green, which is a very small portion of the market. BGE can't afford to raise their prices until a fully loaded Egg (nest, shelves, indirect setup) is the same cost as a KJ.

Looking at the Eggtoberfest crowds, Mr Fisher isn't hurting. I guarantee they are having solid YOY growth. If they were hurting, I doubt they would have moved the mothership to its current swanky facility. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,214
    Options
    The high end gasser manufacturers are the ones who should be worried about decreased demand. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    the entire outdoor living market which includes both gas and charcoal cookers is growing quite a bit. It is seen as a great way to upgrade your home and lifestyle. Basically adding SF to your home.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    the entire outdoor living market which includes both gas and charcoal cookers is growing quite a bit. It is seen as a great way to upgrade your home and lifestyle. Basically adding SF to your home.
    With global warming....there is more time to be spent outside grillin and smokin. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I guess I better breakdown and go ahead and purchase one
  • SkySaw
    edited November 2016
    Options

Looking at the Eggtoberfest crowds, Mr Fisher isn't hurting. I guarantee they are having solid YOY growth. If they were hurting, I doubt they would have moved the mothership to its current swanky facility. 
    But that's exactly my point. BGE is riding on the growth in the market for ceramic grills. Its share of that growing market is another story, and if you look at the ceramic grill market 10 years ago there were BGE and Primo, and BGE's larger dealer network was an advantage. Today you can find a KJ or a Vision within 10 miles of anyone (practically). Dollars to donuts that BGE's growth has not followed the level of growth in the ceramic grill market. With no clear value advantage and a price premium, those new market entrants are a huge threat.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    There is word on the street that based on the number of BGE's you own Washington is going to apply a carbon tax ..There is a way around this, you can buy carbon credits based on how many gassers you have.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,801
    Options
    eggs were coming out of mexico before nafta so im thinking this free trade agreement did not affect them much at all.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    There is word on the street that based on the number of BGE's you own Washington is going to apply a carbon tax ..There is a way around this, you can buy carbon credits based on how many gassers you have.. 
    Good point =) Carbon credits are laughable, that is like someone paying another guy to be faithful to their wife so he can cheat on his.
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Lump from sources that replenish cut wood is carbon neutral. What gets put into the atmosphere gets recaptured by the new growth.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Want to lessen carbon footprint?  Buy used.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I love how Leonardo Dicaprio drives a little weiniemobile to save the planet, yet flies everywhere by private jet. He would have to drive that car for 150 years to offset one of his plane rides.
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Many thanks to the moderators of the forum who let this discussion continue. A sensitive subject on a couple fronts but a serious issue that potentially affects all us stakeholders.

And many thanks to those who have posted here! 80 comments that were largely on topic and did not erupt into a political "my dad can beat up your dad" school yard fight. Interesting viewpoints on many sides.

No matter your opinion, I think we all can agree that the potential of repealing the current NAFTA agreement is something we need to keep our eyes on.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Thought for a second I'd walked into the Brooking's Institute's lunch room. 

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Institute? More like an institution!!
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
      SemolinaPilchard said:
    Institute? More like an institution!!
    'Zackly!  Every one of us should be institutionalized. 

oh. Unrelated to your comment. And i'm on mobile so i can't see who dinged me with a shameful "off topic", but it was probably an accident anyway, because no one could possibly be that much of a weeny.

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Some people look at situations like this and try to figure out what will happen. I am not one of them. Whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen - whether I worry about it or not. So I don't. 
    Michael, you took the words right out of my brain. They hadn't even made the trip to my mouth yet. I haven't watched TV news since Nov. 9 and my motto is "What? Me worry?" (Remember that?)
    Judy in San Diego
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    sctdg said:
    Dobie said:

Trump has been on every side of every issue.  He is bound to do everything he has said while simultaneously going against everything he has said.

Will be a fun 4 years for soundbits on both sides.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    Options
    sctdg said:
    Dobie said:

Trump has been on every side of every issue.  He is bound to do everything he has said while simultaneously going against everything he has said.

Like he said he would NEVER settle the Trump University law suit. Yet today he settled the Trump University lawsuit.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    sctdg said:
    Dobie said:

Like he said he would NEVER settle the Trump University law suit. Yet today he settled the Trump University lawsuit.
    Yup.  Watching an interview on Foxnews right now.  Pretty interesting.  He is very well spoken, but gooddness he finishes every statement with the exact same sentence he started with.

"I have the best words, believe me .... blah, blah, blah .... I have the best words"  Must be a business ploy.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I hope the first time Trump meets Angela Merkel she sexually harasses him.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I spent 550 for a MM. Increase the price of next one? I will still buy it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky