Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Wood to use for smoking Turkey.....

Options
Please forgive me if this has been discussed a million times, BUT, what is everyone's favorite wood type for smoking a turkey. Everything I have read says Oak by itself is too strong. I am looking at a blend of oak and pecan with mostly pecan. I have an egg and an offset smoker that I will be doing turkeys on. The egg, of course will be lump and chunks but the offset will be firewood. Thanks for any input! 
Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
Fort Worth ,Texas

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I stick with cherry for turkey. Mild flavor and provides a nice color to the bird.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have used peach, pecan, cherry and sugar maple. Liked them all. As @StillH2OEgger mentioned, cherry does a good job for color, and flavor. I like the light sweet smoke for poultry.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    What they said. And definitely don't use hickory, oak or mesquite.  Too much smoke for the bird.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Another vote for cherry-but if all you have is pecan that will certainly do the job.  And just be mindful with the off-set that poultry will easily take up smoke.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    in the egg i go light with pecan or maple, and its pellets or shavings that i slide in during the cook small amounts here and there using a spatula to ricochet them toward the center as i drop them. one small chunk cherry for color.would rather have too little smoke than too much with turkey
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like pee-can or hickory.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I like black or wild cherry for my stickburner.  It's mild and sweet enough I run both clean and dirty poppets open the entire cook on the Karubecue, perfect profile for our tastes.  And, like posted above, the bonus is it can give a nice hue to your que.  The hue isn't guaranteed every time though.  

This was my last bird done a few months ago with Plowboys Yardbird and black cherry.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I use peach wood for my turkey.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't think I've ever done turkey on the egg, but tons of chicken. I have used white oak, cherry, hickory and maple. I don't find white oak or maple too strong. Cherry gives a beautiful color and is also fairly mild. Hickory is much too strong. Mostly, I don't use any wood. The lump is plenty.

To illustrate the cherry color several have mentioned...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    A little cherry and a little pecan. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Pecan
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • PirateBill
    Options
    I use night lock ... it makes your mouth tingle and go numb.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Turkey and all poultry for that matter is a smoke sponge in that it picks up both flavor and color very readily. IMO, it is easy to over smoke it, causing it to pick up a bit of bitterness.  I don't use wood smoke, but do like a hint of fragrant smoke just before I take the bird off the grill so I toss a nice handful of fresh rosemary into the fire during the last 15 minutes of the cook. Rosemary smoke is very fragrant and fresh, IMO. Happy Cooking.  
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Turkey and all poultry for that matter is a smoke sponge in that it picks up both flavor and color very readily. IMO, it is easy to over smoke it, causing it to pick up a bit of bitterness.  I don't use wood smoke, but do like a hint of fragrant smoke just before I take the bird off the grill so I toss a nice handful of fresh rosemary into the fire during the last 15 minutes of the cook. Rosemary smoke is very fragrant and fresh, IMO. Happy Cooking.  
    I like that idea. Next time you strip off the rosemary leaves for... whatever, save the stems for smoke wood for the poultry. Thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I don't think I've ever done turkey on the egg, but tons of chicken. I have used white oak, cherry, hickory and maple. I don't find white oak or maple too strong. Cherry gives a beautiful color and is also fairly mild. Hickory is much too strong. Mostly, I don't use any wood. The lump is plenty.

To illustrate the cherry color several have mentioned...

I get pizza and bread not done in the egg especially with your nuclear oven but a turkey is a night and day difference when done in the egg. A must try @Carolina Q
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I use Rockwood. I've really cut back on smoke with any poultry. Just personal preference. Good luck. It'll be great. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I get pizza and bread not done in the egg especially with your nuclear oven but a turkey is a night and day difference when done in the egg. A must try @Carolina Q
    @WeberWho, you misunderstand. I just never seem to be at home when turkey is being cooked. So either someone else cooks it or I do (but in the only-electric-oven available). Believe me, I know it would be much better in the egg!

And I haven't used the nuclear function in a while now. With my baking steel, I've been keeping it at 550° or less. And it STILL works great for bread or pizza! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Focker said:
    I like black or wild cherry for my stickburner.  It's mild and sweet enough I run both clean and dirty poppets open the entire cook on the Karubecue, perfect profile for our tastes.  And, like posted above, the bonus is it can give a nice hue to your que.  The hue isn't guaranteed every time though.  

This was my last bird done a few months ago with Plowboys Yardbird and black cherry.

Brandon.... Looks like your rub has clumped up a tad around the drums.. ;).. Other than that great color sir.. :)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:

Brandon.... Looks like your rub has clumped up a tad around the drums.. ;).. Other than that great color sir.. :)
    Lol, thank you.  This is actually a good, nonclumping, rub....Plowboys Yardbird.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Dry brine, with herbed butter, salt, and pepper with pecan. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Hackberry!  Mild fruitwood.  As has been repeated over and over, light smoke is best!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I'm interested in this also, is it safe to use royal oak as the coal? I'm doing my first turkey on the egg and don't want to over smoke as I know poultry picks it up.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Here's a Breast I did Mad Max style with one chunk of cherry.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @feef706 -  no worries if you just run with the lump.  If you have cooked chix over the RO without an issue then you are fine.  You may want to toss in a chunk of cherry or a handful of chips for the great dark red color it imparts.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I usually do not use anything......just charcoal.  That has enough smoke for me.  Anytime I've ever put a little pecan or anything else, people have complained.  Peach or apricot would be good, and/or a little sugar maple.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @feef706 -  no worries if you just run with the lump.  If you have cooked chix over the RO without an issue then you are fine.  You may want to toss in a chunk of cherry or a handful of chips for the great dark red color it imparts.  FWIW-
    I don't cook many birds, typically just breast or thighs, I did one spatchcock chicken a few years ago but it wasn't over RO. I think I'll do just a little cherry and peach chips for color. Thanks!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Wonder how guava or kiawe would be? Gotta try sometime. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Prefer fruit wood for turkey.  Usually dry brine with compond herbed butter under skin.  This year may sous vide the breast and cook the rest of the bird on the egg.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOUR BIRDS FRIEND. 
    I like a small equal amount cherry and pecan. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Try pecan once and you will never go back
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga