Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Drop on MiniMax

Options
I cooked a 18 oz rib-eye tonight on my MiniMax. I brought the egg up to 600 but as soon as I put on the steak it dropped to 500 and didn't raise back above 525 the rest of the cook. Is there a way to prevent this drop in temperature? Or is this just to be expected due to the size of the minimax?

Comments

• clifkincaid
    Options
    It's cold meat....you blocked the thermometer. It's still hot! Just cook and check with a fast meat thermometer. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Dome Temp and grate temp are not one in the same. A bed of hot lump just below the grate is what the steak will be cooking at. A 3/4" to 1" steak on the mini will cook in about 3 minutes when the lump is glowing.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    The more I read and see comments, the more it is becoming apparent that the Mini is a different cooking experience all together and it sounds like a fun one!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    XL is an easy rig to run, the medium takes a bit more attention but not bad, The MM is a difficult egg to run.  You really need to have egg mojo.  The KAB helps a bunch.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You could do this to raise the temp gauge in the MM dome and prevent the blocking that @clifkincaid was talking about:

That's about 2/3rds of a cork. It's important to have the little groove halfway up the temp gauge inside the Egg. You can lose the metal clip inside, it's not needed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------