Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory

Options
Has anyone cut there own hickory? 
If so how long do y'all let it season? 
I can get cords of it.  So far I've cut a milk crate full. Cutting more next week
Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Never done hickory, but my apple and cherry season for maybe 30 days. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Lots of hickories in our woods so yes I cut and dry my own. Mainly I just keep it out of the weather and let it dry for a year or so, but do have chunks older than that. When feeling like it I will slab trunks to make them easier to dry and then split later as chunks.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I do not know about hickory, but some wood is much easier to split soon after cutting.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Green, seasoned, doesn't matter.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited October 2016
    Options
    yes, I cut my own hickory.  For the egg, I prefer limbs of only 2-3 inches thick.  cut into chunks.  It makes excellent firewood but it is hard to split compared to white and red oak.  As far as aging, I would go several months if cut into chunks for cooking.  For firewood, a whole year as with any hard wood.  I always cut my firewood a year in advance of burning it.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    If you have Shag bark hickory, the bark works great all by itself. Sweetest smelling stuff M