Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Emile Henry Pizza Stone - Amazon Deal of the Day $32.99

Options

Comments

• xanderbbq
    Options
    I can't find what the maximum temperature is for this stone.  Do you happen to know?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Had mine over 700 a few times.
    Just avoid temp shock. Let it warm up with your Egg, never place cold stone on hot fire. Same with cooling stone. Don't toss in a snow bank or water when it's hot.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I love mine!!! And if you do any oven baking it is great!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Love mine too. I believe it's safe up to 750 degrees. I love that you can cut the pizza on it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    The only quick learning curve is dealing with the protruding handles. I kept hitting them with my pizza peel.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I got one on Woot for around $15-20 a couple of years ago, so I wasn't expecting much. But it works well and hasn't cracked after many uses.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Some non BGE brand pizza stone can not take high heat without cracking, but judging from the comments above, this stone can handle it. 
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    I picked up 2 of these today and if I had a brain would've double checked this forum before purchasing.  But the Amazon reviews looked good, so I figured it looked like a good deal.  Sounds like a few folks here have had good results so hopefully they work out well!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Like a few others have already mentioned, I got mine a few years ago at a good price.  I think it was on Woot.com.  In fact, I seem to recall purchasing three: one for us and two as gifts.  I was surprised at how good the quality is and how easy to clean.  Great accessory to have for your Egg or for your kitchen.  Follow Photo Egg's advice and it will last forever.

Spring "Another Item To Place In My Coffin" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• smokeybreeze
    Options
    Read about the nuanced differences between stone and steel for pizza baking here http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

Neither is better than the other, just different in their outcomes and that information allows you to choose based on your preferences.

I currently prefer using my 17" round cast iron griddle over the BGE pizza stone, but before I had the CI griddle, the stone was the go-to choice for great pizza, now I'm looking at a 1/2" thick carbon steel plate option since I host pizza parties rather frequently all year long.
  • Brian22
    Brian22 Posts: 23
    Options
    Can I use a regular old pizza stone on my Egg?  What's so great about this one?  (If there's a good reason, I'll grab it before midnight.). ;)
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    Egghead forum strikes again.  :s
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got mine, same stone, red, at World Market. $24.00. Rated 500F, had it to 600F several times, no issues. Used frequently.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    i got one last christmas - still in the box :(

One day I will get to use it.

Garnerville, NY
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I got one last night.  Will probably use this one in the oven. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Brian22 said:
    Can I use a regular old pizza stone on my Egg?  What's so great about this one?  (If there's a good reason, I'll grab it before midnight.). ;)
    Yes, you can use a regular old pizza stone.
    Just temember, pizza stones differ. A good quality pizza stone will cost you at least as much as the Henry stone listed above. Cheap pizza stones are just that...cheap. Most will crack fairly easy and they can not handle direct flame.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas