Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin on the MiniMax

Options
2»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I've never had this.....very anxious to see the finale!
    This is a super easy cook. I put it together like this to provide some information to those starting out or just purchased a MM, hopefully to help them out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

This thread just gave me me some ideas.  
    I am hoping you were able to use this, sort of as a reference to using the MM or any of the BGEs. Thank you for looking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    This is a super easy cook. I put it together like this to provide some information to those starting out or just purchased a MM, hopefully to help them out.
    Thank you very much!  In case you can't tell, I'm a little addicted to this place and it is for posts like this that I am. These help me a ton!!!!!  Problem now, is I have so much stuff bookmarked, it's almost as hard to find anything as it is in the forum!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • YukonRon
    Options

Just reminded me I have an open bottle of Paraduxx I never finished laast night!
    Most of my cooks are specifically designed for wine consumption. My Beautiful Wife and I, are um, idiots, when it comes to the grape.
    Bottom line, drink the wine. We have an incredible story about that topic, wil share it sometime.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

I'm a baby in this world and would agree!!

that looks incredibly good!!!  Thanks for taking us along for the ride!!!!
    I tried to do it this way, to provide folks, that may be new to egging, or just purchased a MM, some insight on egging. Hope you found it so. Thank you for looking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Wardster said:

Great cook!  2 things.  What's up with how clean your firebox is compared to the dome?  What's up with that cutting board?  Very cool, I have not seen that before.

Thanks for posting

The firebox is clean because of the cooks, and maintenance I do. The dome catches the fat, protein and smoke, at a much lower temp, and has not been burnt off. The fire pit has a much higher temp. I also use a placesetter a lot when cooking.
    The cutting board has two sides, the typical flat side, and the side seen in my pictures. That side, offers a raised area to cut irregular shapes of meat, and you can use the rsised grid to help. It also keeps the meat from sitting in the drippings, which the channels are used to flow it away, and allow you to collect should yo want.
    The aluminum pan used for the rest, prior to unwrapping and placing on the cutting board, collects the au jus, and is easily poured into a serving dish.
    Thank you for looking, I hope this helps.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Damn nice cook Ron!!
    Thank you brother, it looked like heck in the prep, had a helluva time twining it up. The cut was slaughtered and it took me about two and a half hours to prep. Came out great though, it was a roast, the BGE MM, made it worthy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Nailed that one. Looks really good. 
    Thank you brother, PIA to prep, not typical, especially from Costco. But in the end, Rockwood and the BGE MM did all the heavy lifting. I just sat outside and enjoyed a beautiful evening with My Beautiful Wife sharing a great bottle of wine during the cook.
    Life fails to suck during these times.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited October 2016
    Options

Knocked it outta the park Ron!!!!!
    I was not pleased with this cut, it was one ofbthe worst, I had ever had to work with, but in the end, Rockwood and th Ed BGE MM, made me look good to those that were hungry.
    It did turn out very good. Thank you for th he kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

GoooDawgs said:
    Wow!  Never made a beef tenderloin before.  Did you sear afterwards or just serve straight from the indirect setup? 
    I used a low sodium soy sauce marinade to go with my rub. When roasting at 350F, I have learned, it builds a delicious crust. Taking it to sear temps, would have given this mix a too heavy of a burn, leaving a bitter taste. I took it off the MM, wrapped it in butcher paper for about 20 mins, then placed it on the cutting board. 
    Thank you for thd comments. If I can be of further help, let me know.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

SciAggie said:
    Making the MiniMax stand tall my friend. That pic on the cutting board looks like the meat was wonderfully tender and beautifully cooked. 
    You're making me study too; I looked up when and why to decant wine. 
    Thank you for the kind words. We decant the reds from burgundy on up. Works out very well. I keep them in the wine fridge at about 10 degrees cooler than preferred serving temp, and allow them to breathe during the warm up. Whites, and all others, are straight out of the fridge, into a glass.
    For a choice cut, I think it turned out pretty ok. It was not the best I had received from Costco, that is for sure. Rockwood and the MM did all the work, I just drank wine with Suzy, and enjoyed a beautiful evening.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Looks great Ron. Love the MM! 
    Thank you for the kind words. I gotta tell you, the MM is one surprising son of a gun. It is much more versatile than most people imagine, and if you can figure a way to get it in there, it will cook it. I have owned this bad boy for a year and a half, and have yet to turn out anything that was not delicious. My Beautiful Wife tells everyone the BGE MM has completely ruined dining out for us anymore.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Legume said:
    Hell yes!
    Thanks for the support. It did cook up better than I had anticipated. My BIL is still picking at it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

bgebrent said:
    Ron, I didn't read all the posts.  You welcomed me back today, thank you.  A choice tenderloin?  Expletive deleted brother.  WTF?  No fine wine makes that a fine steak.  Glad it turned out my brother  ;)
    My brother Brent! I have to tell you, After trimming, marinade and rub, I was not optimistic this cut was going to be worthy. I think not searing it was the key. Letting it cook with the soy marinade, sealed the juices in, which helped make it fork tender. You were right, it took two bottles of wine, cooking time to bring this puppy around.
    Thanks for the kind words. Suzy says hi!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

JMCXL said:
    Thanks for including all the photos, it is nice to see the whole process, BTW looks amazing. GREAT COOK!
    Thank you for the generous words. I know there are a lot of new folks in the forum, and I thought it may be helpful to give them something to use as a reference when using the BGE, specifically the MM. I hope this helps, and if there is anything I can do, ket me know.
    It really is an easy cook. The MM and Rockwood do all the heavy lifting.......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Thank you very much!  In case you can't tell, I'm a little addicted to this place and it is for posts like this that I am. These help me a ton!!!!!  Problem now, is I have so much stuff bookmarked, it's almost as hard to find anything as it is in the forum!
    If I can be of any help anytime, let me know. Send me a message, and I will send you my number.
    Peace, my friend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Damn, Son.

You live well.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Damn tasty looking cook right there, Sir. Looks like you nailed it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YukonRon
    Options
    Damn, Son.

You live well.
    We compromise tremendously. If you saw our 100 year old home, and my truck, which is now past the age to vote, you would understand. Too many things we like to do, exceeds our desire (I mean no disrespect to those that do) for a palatial estate, and the incredible costs associated.
    We are simple Kentucky folks, which embrace the BGE lifestyle.
    Thank you for checking in.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Damn tasty looking cook right there, Sir. Looks like you nailed it.
    Thank you for the generous words my friend. This was a challenge, due to the grade and the manner, in which it was prepped by Costco. It took forever, to get ready, for the  actual cook itself. It had a lot of tendon and hard fat, which in the manner of the way it was packaged, was undetetected by me. It was, by far, the worst item I have ever bought at Costco. I easily trimmed off 2 pounds, and I believe that to be a very low weight compared to actual.
    But the important issue, was the end result, and that was better than I had anticipated. The BGE MM and Rockwood combo did all the heavy lifting. I just drank the wine while it cooked.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ron is the finest oenophile on the Forum. 

And, no, it's not a dirty word. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• volminimax
    Options
    Looks awesome! I have a minimax as well. I will have to try this.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir!
    And that is one nice carving board!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ron is the finest oenophile on the Forum. 

And, no, it's not a dirty word. 
    I don't know so much about the finest, but I do know what I like. I have always said, the best wine I have ever had, is the wine I share with friends. Look forward to the day you and I can pour a glass or two.
    Heck, I have been known to get my wine from a box, and my cheese from a can.
    Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great cook right there Ron.

Image result for bravo gif
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YukonRon
    Options

Looks awesome! I have a minimax as well. I will have to try this.
    Thank you sir. Now that my XL is awaiting parts for replacement, I am working much more frequently with the MiniMax. I had an idea, how versatile the MiniMax was, but, I really had no clue, until forced to cook large on it.
    This dog will hunt my friend. I am becoming a major fan of the Mini, the heat control, speed, over - all ease of use, and low profile.
    The small foot print for travel, makes this my favorite BGE thus far. Camping, and tailgating is so much better, when you make BGE be a part of it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Hotch said:
    Nicely done sir!
    And that is one nice carving board!!
    Thank you for the kind words, it did turn out much better tha I had previously anticipated. I will thank Rockwood and the MiniMax for that. The cutting board, well, I actually purchased it by mistake. I wanted a flat surface, which the other side (Back) offers, and that was the only board they had of that size. I wanted it specifically for brisket.
    Turns out, after I got it home, I started using the side represented in the photo. I have used the flat size once in 10 years. I do so enjoy an occasional shot of good fortune from time to time.
    Thanks again.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Great cook right there Ron.

Image result for bravo gif
    Thank you kind sir.
    Aside from the prep, I did nothing, the Rockwood and the MiniMax did all of the work. I just sat outside with My Beautiful Wife, and enjoyed a beautiful fall evening, with a good bottle of French wine from Charlemagne's favorite wine region; Burgundy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Cooking like a Pro Ron!
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    Cooking like a Pro Ron!
    Hey Tommy, my man, good to see your words, and thank you for the kindness. You have been in my thoughts, and we are hoping you are doing well. Give me a call sometime, let me know when you can come by.
    Peace, my brother.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky