Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marginal OT- Anyone have anything to say about the Thermoworks Chef Alarm?

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
Here's a link to a promo that expires today (10/12).  Wondering if anyone has any experience and their observations. 
http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm-with-Free-Needle-Probe?utm_source=Nl-2016Oct12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=ChefAlarmFreeNeeldleProbe&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Oct2016-ChefAlarm-Needle-Probe-Ends-Today-cs-b
And no I don't need it... ;)
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    My Bro and SIL have one. She loves it he barely cooks so....
    Also a friend at work has one, also loves it and their customer service.
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    So. What color are you getting?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't used one but I am sure it will be great quality. The only thing is...for not much more you could pre-order the new smoke that is coming out which would add the pit temp plus remote monitoring.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited October 2016
    Options

Seems like a good deal - especially with two probes.  Probably a good choice for Sous vide. 

I sure don't need one.  My ThermaQ will be gathering dust once the Smoke arrives in another week.

Edit - thanks @lousubcap for posting.  I love seeing things on this forum I which I don't suddenly "need".
    Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    We have one and it's great.
    Even the lowest alert tone on ours is still loud. I put a piece of tape over the back speaker vent to muffle the sound down. Like it even better now.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Caught an orange one on sale, added a pit probe and a BBQ Guru probe tree.  Perfect for the KBQ.  Great 5 star product.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks to all I have submitted to the forum $$ vortex.  Black one enroute.   Gotta mask the dirty fingerprints whenever I can  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks to all I have submitted to the forum $$ vortex.  Black one enroute.   Gotta mask the dirty fingerprints whenever I can  ;)
    I had a bright green, and it just looks nasty after every cook. I am switching to black on future purchases too.
    How's the stick burner coming along?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:
    I had a bright green, and it just looks nasty after every cook. I am switching to black on future purchases too.
    @YukonRon  I just got triple timer in lime - terrible idea.  BBQ = dirty hands = black
    Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blasting said:
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon  I just got triple timer in lime - terrible idea.  BBQ = dirty hands = black
    Absolutely agree :o

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Options
    For Thermaworks, I've got orange, green, yellow, and red.  Play with a fire on the KBQ all day.  They never get dirty.  You guys are doin' it wrong.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Focker -  that's your dishwasher stick burner you are talking about.  If you can pull off the clean hands with  a BGE from the initial light til finished, you are way ahead of me and I would guess the majority here.  FWIW-
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dishwasher and stickburner? Where does one get that set up? I will pay a lot for one of those.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I've got a couple. They are really great thermometers. I particularly like the pot clip that hold the probe down inside a pot. We use this a lot when deep frying. 

You may want to look into their brand new thermometer called Smoke. It's a dual probe thermometer with a base unit, remote sensor, ambient probe and food probe. Think Maverick ET732 style, but at the Thermoworks quality level. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @YukonRon -  here's the link to the rig that has been referred to as a dishwasher buy those on the forum who own one (and there are at least 3-4 owners who frequent here).
    http://www.kbq.us  
    BTW-you will pay a lot  ;)
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon -  here's the link to the rig that has been referred to as a dishwasher buy those on the forum who own one (and there are at least 3-4 owners who frequent here).
    http://www.kbq.us  
    BTW-you will pay a lot  ;)
    Thank you for the link. I figured it would be costly, since there is no mention of it in the presentation. Poor people like me and Zuckerman have to stay with the eggs I suppose.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Focker -  that's your dishwasher stick burner you are talking about.  If you can pull off the clean hands with  a BGE from the initial light til finished, you are way ahead of me and I would guess the majority here.  FWIW-
    I would have to agree lou, keeping my hands clean is the name of the game.  From start to finish, they rarely touch water when the grills are lit.  It's engrained, to work smarter, not harder, in regards to cleanliness and time management.  Camping has helped me think this way as well.  

Playing with sticks, stoking embers, ash on the KBQ is much dirtier FWIW.

Latex gloves, AL foil, Saran Wrap, bleach wipes, and paper towels are amazing things.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    I've got a couple. They are really great thermometers. I particularly like the pot clip that hold the probe down inside a pot. We use this a lot when deep frying. 

You may want to look into their brand new thermometer called Smoke. It's a dual probe thermometer with a base unit, remote sensor, ambient probe and food probe. Think Maverick ET732 style, but at the Thermoworks quality level. 
    Pot clip is money.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    We have had one for a couple of years. It gets a lot of use. Especially in the kitchen oven.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Focker said: Latex gloves, AL foil, Saran Wrap, bleach wipes, and paper towels are amazing things.  

I agree and go thru gloves like water.  Given I only have a couple of runs on a stick burner, I find working with sticks is naturally cleaner than the lump deal-just toss a fresh one in and let it burn.  
  • Focker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Focker said: Latex gloves, AL foil, Saran Wrap, bleach wipes, and paper towels are amazing things.  

I agree and go thru gloves like water.  Given I only have a couple of runs on a stick burner, I find working with sticks is naturally cleaner than the lump deal-just toss a fresh one in and let it burn.  
    It probably is for you on the Lang.  With the KBQ, there is more putzing and playing around involved.  

It comes with a stoker tool to help with this.  And it needs tending often to help the logs break down into the ember bed needed to clean the smoke.

Cap, my apologies.  Didn't intend to derail this one.  Got nothing to give but respect.

The Chef Alarm is a fantastic unit.  You will not be disappointed.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities