Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advise on how to cook sausage

Options
Looking for some advise. I picked up 2lbs of beef sausage yesterday at Southside Market in Elgin, TX. The sausage isn't pre-cooked like most are and I've never cooked raw sausage before. Is there an IT that I should shoot for? Color? Any help would be appreciated. 

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    grill or smoke to 150-160 internal
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Thank you very much

XL BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Pics please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you can just grill it to 155. if theres not alot of fat you can add a little water to the pan, add sausage and bring up the internal temp quicker, then sear. been seeing some stuff on seafood sausage with the sous vide first, seafood sausage gets dry and over cooked fast, something i want to try.  with the beef though, i would probably start with foil and a little water (this keeps it from splitting too quickly), then grill it direct once the color starts to change. its strange how some areas use more precooked stuff, we see more raw stuff up here on the whole
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Try this link, I would not go much above 140 if you do you risk drying out the sausage. https://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Just cooked some last night! Did mine indirect at 350 for 20 min per side. Used post oak for smoke  - came out terrific. 

They are pretty fatty so I wanted to smoke instead of grill them to reduce flare ups
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Ay-ay-ron has a vid. He cooks indirect for 275 for 30 minutes until the casing looks right. The sausage from TX looks pretty fatty so I think an IT in the 155-160 range would be best. One other tip I have heard is you can check the IT from the ends without popping the casing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQ6Wk4nIwo

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Arkysmokin
    Options
    Thank you all! This is great stuff! I'll cook it up this weekend and post some pics

XL BGE

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    @fishlessman seafood sausage, and some really mild emulsified sausages, should or can be poached. 

Weisswurst , brats, etc. benefit from gentle cooking.  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Anywhere between 275 and 325.  The best thing I have figured out is that when one casing pops a little hole and starts decompressing sausage juice, that one if very slightly overcooked and all the rest are done (unless there is some major temp variation around the grill).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    @fishlessman seafood sausage, and some really mild emulsified sausages, should or can be poached. 

i do like them browned abit though, only way ive found that works is poached and chilled, then browned. thinkin sous vide would poach a bunch perfectly and then chill the whole bag in ice water, then a light browning and serve with the buerre blance sauce. there used to be a great cook in the capecod fishing mag...popeye =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    For uncooked, I like direct at 300 until an IT of 160 and the outside looks good. If the casing it really thin, indirect is OK. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited October 2016
    Options

i do like them browned abit though, only way ive found that works is poached and chilled, then browned. thinkin sous vide would poach a bunch perfectly and then chill the whole bag in ice water, then a light browning and serve with the buerre blance sauce. there used to be a great cook in the capecod fishing mag...popeye =)
    Simmering in water, and then browning after the water boils off, is basically the conpromise cook. Gentle cook while simmering until pretty much done. Then light browing

As you mentioned, that's pretty much the standard breakfast sausage method. 

Probably came aboit as a poor man's "poach" (just plain water), and one day the water boiled off unattended, and the happy accident of browning happened

if i grill, I tend to go lower so that the cook is a gentle roast while i pick up color at the same time

cooking too high leads to blackening and split skins in my experience. And sometimes even undercooked interiors

check ruhlman's book for the seafood or lobster sausage. I think he poaches in seafood stock. But butter would be awesome