Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-turbo Turbo Brisket

Options
Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
I swear sometimes my egg cooks food really fast when it shouldn't. A brisket this size should not cook in under 10 hours at 250 degrees.

Bought a 15.22 lb Prime packer from Costco. 2 lb 12 oz of fat trimmed off.

Seasoned with John Henry Pecan Rub and set in the fridge for 24 hours. Haven't tried this seasoning before but got it from my egg dealer and they like it. FYI, there's no pecan in it, the spice is just smoked in pecan. Lots of sugar and just a little heat on the back side.

A bit of liquids ended up in the pan in the fridge so I injected with 1 can of beef broth. Didn't add anything to the broth.
Going on the large egg (tight fit):

6am:

8am done:

Had some company at 8 am:

So now the brisket is wrapped in foil and in the cooler. Got some rope sausage smoking now and I'll add that to the cooler as well so that will add a little heat in there. Lunch is served at 1pm. Got all the sides too so I'll add pics of those in a little bit.

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Check that temp gauge!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Toxarch
    Options
    I had 2 probes on the Stoker and the dial on the grill. All 3 are calibrated correctly.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Options
    The brisket came out great. The point was a little overdone but was far from dry. Not a thick smoke ring even though a had a bunch of apple wood chunks mixed in. But rings don't mean flavor. 

Decided to serve everything in foil pans so it's easier to clean up after: just toss the pans in the recycle. Grabbed some pics before people went back for seconds. 
    Penne and cheese (Mac and cheese)

Baked beans with a lactose free side:

Green bean casserole:

There was also some spinach dish that an aunt brought. Also, a salad, dinner rolls, sweet Hawaiian rolls, desserts, fruits, sweet and unsweetened tea, soft drinks, and a couple of tours out to the green egg when they found it wasn't catered.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh man that looks good. :clap: Nice job.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Man that all looks awesome. I'd eat that whole pan of mac and cheese. 

Little Rock, AR

• Toxarch
    Options

I made 2 pans of mac & cheese just in case someone like yourself showed up for lunch. I used Dammeier's recipe found here:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/316867/worlds-best-mac-and-cheese
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I want to see a shot of those beans and cheese all cooked up!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Looks awesome!   I like the apple chunks...  never thought of that. Can you notice the fruit?

I like that you're not just a post oak drone!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Toxarch said:

I made 2 pans of mac & cheese just in case someone like yourself showed up for lunch. I used Dammeier's recipe found here:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/316867/worlds-best-mac-and-cheese
    Awesome!!!  Thanks so much. I'll be trying that one for sure. 

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great cook and side banquet across the board.  Regarding the accelerated cook, I have seen the past 6 -8 prime packers (Costco- not that that should influence) take around 0.75 hrs/lb at a calibrated dome of around 260-270*F.
    Friggin cow drives the cook-  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I want to see a shot of those beans and cheese all cooked up!
    I forgot to take one after they came out of the oven. Only got a picture after everyone got their first round. And there's that spinach dish top left.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Toxarch
    edited October 2016
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Looks awesome!   I like the apple chunks...  never thought of that. Can you notice the fruit?

I like that you're not just a post oak drone!
    I don't know if the fruit flavor comes out in the smoke. This rub was pretty sweet to begin with. I will say it's a bit different than post oak. It comes out with a lot less of a heavy smoke and has a different smell to it. I like it.
    I have some seasoned pecan wood I need to go pick up and try sometime. Cut it last year so should be ready. Have more that I just cut so that will have to wait until next year. I might go out to one of the local peach farms and see if i can get some peach wood to try.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• mmiladinov
    Options
    Everything looks awesome!  Job well done! 
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Maybe the fast cook has to do with it being a left side brisket... if you buy into that theory.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My Prime and Prime CAB that size cook in 10 @ 225 calibrated grate , that's with a foil wrap @ about 160... If I never wrap, time will be longer....Prime always cooks faster than a lesser grade IMO

But it it looks like a winner to me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian