Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Captiva / Sanibel Red Tide info needed

Options
Thinking of leaving Texas on the 10th for Captiva or Sanibel. Friend in St Pete now told me the Red Tide is in St Pete and said to be down to Sanibel. 
I am not fishing but not interested in smelling the dead fish washing up while shelling. 
Any info on how lone it may last and if it is really there. 
Thanks
Very retired so timing is very flexible. 
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• epcotisbest
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Thinking of leaving Texas on the 10th for Captiva or Sanibel. Friend in St Pete now told me the Red Tide is in St Pete and said to be down to Sanibel. 
    I am not fishing but not interested in smelling the dead fish washing up while shelling. 
    Any info on how lone it may last and if it is really there. 
    Thanks
    Very retired so timing is very flexible. 
    No firsthand information but I did find this;

http://myfwc.com/research/redtide/statewide/

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Got a text in to my brother. SIL has family on sanibel. Will let you know if I get some info. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got a text in to my brother. SIL has family on sanibel. Will let you know if I get some info. 
    Thanks so much. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mickey, two sources. Sanibel resident says she hasn't heard any issues, but she doesn't really go to beach. My aunt is in Sarasotta and say water is clear as a bell. No issues. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mickey, two sources. Sanibel resident says she hasn't heard any issues, but she doesn't really go to beach. My aunt is in Sarasotta and say water is clear as a bell. No issues. 
    Thank you very much

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    No problem, my friend. Hope we cross paths some day. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Mickey, while you are there if you want to have a really great day, rent a boat and head north and check out the barrier islands up to Little Gasparilla Island.  Get out early in the gulf (while it is smooth) and come back on the bay/intercoastal side.  I've seen some remarkable things around those barrier islands.  Schools of stingrays, dolphins jumping and spinning and doing flips, osprey catching fish, turtles, etc.  One day I thought I saw a sea lion swimming through the surf.  My aunt who had a house there informed me it was just Rowdy Gaines doing the butterfly.  It's been a while since I've been there but I suspect you could find a good place to stop for lunch on the bay side of Boca Grande or Captiva or Sanibel. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX