Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The newest best cook on the egg for the rookie.

tikigriller
tikigriller Posts: 1,389
@byrne092 deserves all credit for these photos and meal. I have never eaten this, and have never had anything this good. Lots of pictures, but I am very proud of this one. So here is the deal though. As proud as I am, please still tell me where I could improve. We like our meat more towards Medium, but with how I pulled it, we got the perfect mix throughout. 

Nothing more than lowrys seasoned salt and pepper. 250 indirect until 120. Pulled. Waited a good ten minutes after removing the PS and leaving the lid open. Just let it get hot. Then put the meat back o. And flipped every minute or so until 135. Pulled, let rest. 

Baked potatoes cooked on the pellet grill at 400 for two hours. They were good, but the pellet roll has become the "sides maker". 

May be out of order, but you can see from the pictures how everything turned out. 

Thanks again @byrne092 this was all by your lead all the way down to a good bottle of red. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited September 2016
    Not sure how to improve. Pretty much nailed the reverse sear.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Very, very happy pooch!  Great cook, too.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Well, I'm gonna take a shot and say you left it on the sear too long and had too much carry over. That egg is screaming hot and will climb more degrees as a result once pulled. I would also use a thermapen instead to give it quick checks. Now me personally think the cook looks slamming and I might wrestle the dog for the bone. Nothing wrong with the technique that I see. Just practice. Couldn't have stunk--I don't see leftovers
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • i forgot the best picture from my son. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Man I literally just ate and I'm pretty stuffed but those pics are making me hungry again.  You nailed it. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Love the cook, the fact you used a decanter with a california blend, tells me the skill level is above rookie. The fact that it was also shown as empty, tells me the rookie BS is over. Your an Egger, wear it proudly.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    The picture says it all. And he got it pretty accurate. I see four legs, a platesetter, a rack, lump and a big grin on Dad's face. I would say at this point you are a full fledged card carrying member. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You are going to need to pour the wine from the bottle to the glass :o

edit,,....did not scroll all the way down. Disregard.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Nice!

Not sure who was happier, you or the GSD. Great looking cook. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks fantastic...but your going to kill your temp probe by leaving it in your steak while you are searing the hell out of it...Roast to desired temp, rest and then sear for crust/color. Temp should not be an issue at this point.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited September 2016
    Looks like you knocked it out of the park! Glad it worked out for you. I might have given you a couple tips, but you nailed the execution. Wine, steak and potatoes is tough to beat. I'm guessing the wife approved? I'm sure your pup did!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    In the search for something to change all I can come up with is an older wine - that beautiful meat deserves a 2000 Bordeaux, a 98 Cab, or a 2005 Rioja!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    da87 said:
    In the search for something to change all I can come up with is an older wine - that beautiful meat deserves a 2000 Bordeaux, a 98 Cab, or a 2005 Rioja!
    2007 cabs from Napa were considered the best ever, from that region, however more recent vintages 2012 and 2013 are very, very strong and easily rival 2007 as well.(wine spectator). Thank you global warming.
    Try some of the super tuscans, for the quality and the price, if you enjoy bold reds, are pretty tough to beat. Sangios are killer as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Looks great!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Paradux and Regusci are definitely our favorites out of Napa. I am a blend guy, and those two wineries produce the best blends IMHO. I suffer pretty bad acid reflux so bold reds and their tannens just kick my arse all over the place. 

Side note....everyone is asking me in the family where this particular meat comes from.......

Livermore, California
  • Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic...but your going to kill your temp probe by leaving it in your steak while you are searing the hell out of it...Roast to desired temp, rest and then sear for crust/color. Temp should not be an issue at this point.

I still had 15 degrees to go when I started to sear it. I am waiting for thermapen to send me a coupon and then I am going to add one of those toys to the toy box specifically for times like this. I need the temp reader,,,,I just don't trust my touch and hate taking off and putting back on, or worse, missing to the late side. 

Livermore, California
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Thanks @YukonRon, totally agree and love Italian reds!  Had to switch largely to Spain and South America for affordability reasons.  Try some older Rioja or the newer Torres if you haven't, there is some pretty big stuff there.  Still have a few old Cabs, Meritage, Bordeaux, and Super Tuscans tucked away from the "high roller" days of my wine purchases.  Now saved for special events and/or cuts of beef like the one that started this thread
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Photo Egg said:

This.  ^^  it does look fantastic, and I would have chewed on the bone before giving it to the dog.... @Photo Egg has it right.  Go low and slow to about 15 degrees below your finish temp.  At that point, between the carryover heat and the heat of the sear, you will get to your finish temp; therefore once you pull from the L&S, you do not have to take/monitor the temp anymore. Pull and save your probes, sear as desired.

Well done!!  Bravo!

(lucky damn dog........)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski said:
    Photo Egg said:

This.  ^^  it does look fantastic, and I would have chewed on the bone before giving it to the dog.... @Photo Egg has it right.  Go low and slow to about 15 degrees below your finish temp.  At that point, between the carryover heat and the heat of the sear, you will get to your finish temp; therefore once you pull from the L&S, you do not have to take/monitor the temp anymore. Pull and save your probes, sear as desired.

Well done!!  Bravo!

(lucky damn dog........)

Thanks!  I already thought I killed the ambient probe.....switched it out with the BGE reader so I could see the temp on the Egg while I was doing some things in the house, and forgot that it only goes to 500!!  All of a sudden, there were no readings at all anymore!  LOL

I am probably going to cave and get a FB200.  As much as I really do enjoy the sport of the coo, and will continue to do so when I have the time, I have three boys at home, limited time off, and a desire to egg every night, so trying to egg and pay attention to it, while still getting all the honey do chores done, becomes very challenging.  Probably just need to have the ability of lighting and setting and not worrying about it until the alarms go off.

Christmas is going to be way too easy for everyone this year for me.  Usually it is just buy anything Golf...this year...

1)  Table

2)  Thermapen

3)  FB200

4)  SRF Gift Certifcates

5)  Red Wine

6)  Additional Egg's

7)  If 6 is accomplished, more of all of 1-5!!!

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Great meal!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:

I still had 15 degrees to go when I started to sear it. I am waiting for thermapen to send me a coupon and then I am going to add one of those toys to the toy box specifically for times like this. I need the temp reader,,,,I just don't trust my touch and hate taking off and putting back on, or worse, missing to the late side. 
    When you slow roast a big steak like you just did, with temp probe in the steak, there is not a good reason to pull it 15 degrees below your target temp before the final sear.
    5 degrees would be enough. The rest while you get your Egg up to sear temp will provide your temp cushion to the sear. A high temp sear is not a good time to raise your internal temp. It defeats the point of slower roasting.IMO
    Bottom line, your steak looked fantastic...but your next one will be even better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I killed a probe on this cook. Just tried to use it on dinner tonight and it was reading 175 in a cold piece of meat. 

Thermapen order happening now. 

Livermore, California