Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to try another Brisket

Options
Big packer fom HEB, prime.
One side was already trimmed very nice.
Pount side was not to bad. I think this one had less fat to trim than my last 14 pound.
My last brisket was very juicy but lacked bite/flavor in the bark and smoke flavor was mild.
I injected this one with beef broth mixed with Oakridge and Worsh.
Used larger flake salt along with regular course salt and course black pepper and then more Oakridge comp beef and pork.
Pecan and Apple, what I had, 3 chunks of each.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks like a mighty fine piece of beef!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Please let us know how the injection worked, I haven't tried that before..  Nice looking brisket!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Please let us know how the injection worked, I haven't tried that before..  Nice looking brisket!
    I got more injection all over the counter and the kitchen walls than in the beef.lol
    I have read several posts about injecting while it's still in the cryo...should have listened.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I have read several posts about injecting while it's still in the cryo...should have listened.
    Another trick is to wrap it tight in Saran Wrap and then inject. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Looking good

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Little Steven
    Options
    Looks great Darian but what's the pount side? Some new money muscle?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Looks great Darian but what's the pount side? Some new money muscle?
    "Rum" typo...Point.
    Next time catch it sooner so I can edit.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Came out good.
    Cooked faster than expected. Was done in 15 hours with starting temps at 230.
    wrapped in paper at 175. Temp snuck up to 205 on brisket between naps.
    Point was perfect. Flat was good an tender, still juicy but should have come off sooner.
    Still needed more seasoning, amazing.
    Really no improvement from injecting IMO.
    Now we are having chopped beef sandwiches for 2 weeks.lol.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Looks nice and juicy. Too bad I'm not allowed to use the injector anymore

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks good Darien. 

Do do you think the injection helped with moisture/ juiciness even though it didn't help the flavour? Have been thinking about injecting, but have tried it yet. 

And you dont *have* to eat chopped beef sammiches for the next 2 weeks.  Some of us don't live that far away :whistle:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beauty brother!  Assessment on the injections?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great cook!  You could always make some of Kelly's chili with the left overs...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I see you posted no big improvement.  Missed it on first pass.  Thanks brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Great cook!  You could always make some of Kelly's chili with the left overs...
    Yep, no reason to get tired of chopped brisky sammiches, make some chili.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    Looks good Darien. 

Do do you think the injection helped with moisture/ juiciness even though it didn't help the flavour? Have been thinking about injecting, but have tried it yet. 

And you dont *have* to eat chopped beef sammiches for the next 2 weeks.  Some of us don't live that far away :whistle:
    Injecting could have saved it honestly, good point, since the pull temp was 205-207.
    Although half of the injection hit the walls in the kitchen, some of it must have stayed in the brisket. Wonder if that sped up the cook? Did not notice any flavor bump.
    If I do inject again, besides doing it outside, I will give it some spice/heat.
    I was also lazy and did not pull out my Adj Rig for XL. Used old platesetter. Still don't like short legs, small air gap when using platesetter. Weather was rainy and I just wanted to get it going. Rig was still packed from last Eggfest.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Nice cook!
    XL BGE  - Virginia