Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In deferance to Eggcelcior. (The new boss) Osso Buco

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yes sir! Dat sure is a purty plate. You need to come to Brisket Camp, by the way.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Dayum Steven!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That's a cook that's on my list. I'd tear into that. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Same as the old boss
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't forget to suck the marrow out. Umami heaven.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Very impressive sir!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • fljoemon
    Options
    I love veal .. that cook is perfect!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    That's a purty cook. 

Love the osso bucco

Eggcelsior said:
    Don't forget to suck the marrow out. Umami heaven.
    Dude is a pro at that. From what i hear anyway
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    Wow, absolutely incredible looking.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I'd tear into that.. Great cook!
  • mikeinccfl
    Options
    Scrumptious! I love Osso Buco but haven't cooked it. Time to get my arse in gear.
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Same as the old boss
    Coulda fooled me (again)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Good lookin meal.....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I HAVE to do this cook.  Always been one of my favorites but never made at home.  Thanks for sharing!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks folks,

Just a note on the cook. I don't cover the pot in the egg so the dish gets a bit of wood flavour. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Thanks folks,

Just a note on the cook. I don't cover the pot in the egg so the dish gets a bit of wood flavour. 
    The liquid gets nice and dark too. Good trick to stew in a cast iron or porcelain dutch oven is to keep the lid off. stir the liquid and rinse off the dried and deep brown cooked stuff that gets on the walls of the DO. That makes for great color and concentrated flavor
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks folks,

The liquid gets nice and dark too. Good trick to stew in a cast iron or porcelain dutch oven is to keep the lid off. stir the liquid and rinse off the dried and deep brown cooked stuff that gets on the walls of the DO. That makes for great color and concentrated flavor
    Wow, I'm impressed! I just figured the egg at lower temps is kind of like a dutch oven anyway. But alas it isn't a stew it's a braise and while both are moist cooking environments the meat is fully submerged in the liquid in a stew and only partially in a braise.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks folks,

Wow, I'm impressed! I just figured the egg at lower temps is kind of like a dutch oven anyway. But alas it isn't a stew it's a braise and while both are moist cooking environments the meat is fully submerged in the liquid in a stew and only partially in a braise.
    not my point.

whether stew or braise, if you want to condense the liquid, give it color, you can rinse off the darker stuff that forms on the walls, like deglazing. 

i am not debating your cooking method or saying it is a stew, a pancake, or like a microwave oven

just saying.  you want extra color and flavor? use the liquid to rinse the browned stuff from the walls of the vessel.  the darker stuff comes off, the liquid that rinsed it will in turn darken, and there you go.

not like osso bucco is difficult or anything

• Little Steven
    Options

You say tomato I say tomato

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    i am not talking about the definition of a braise or stew.

i was using the example of a stew ALSO

you fixate on one word instead of actually understanding the concept.  not my problem.

my point holds true for stews, braises, etc.  anything cooked in a vessel.

that was my point \

i never called your precious braise a lowly stew

i offered a trick for deepening the flavor of the liquid

• Little Steven
    Options
    Your eyes get so fiery when you're angry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    beautiful cook Steven
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx