Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A good read regarding safe chicken temps

minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
I'm sure many of the Thermapen owners here already got this via their email blasts but I thought I would share this for the rest of the egghead crowd. Seems like questions about this come up every few weeks. 

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2012/02/bloody_chicken/?utm_source=Nl-2016Sep17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=PorterhouseSteakBlogPost&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Sep2016-Cooked-Chicken-cs
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Was a great read...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Good article. That is the reason that chicken in restaurants are usually very dried out. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    So the bird can be eaten at 155* if it's held that temp for 60 seconds.  I tend to pull it around there anyway.  That was a good read and I had just deleted it in my email without looking.  Thanks min
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    These statements seem contradictory...

"...a final cooked temperature of 155°F (68°C) in chicken will only need to stay at that temperature for just under 60 seconds in order for the meat to be safe."

"The leg pictured to the right was cooked to the recommended range of 170-175°F (77-79°C) (as verified with a Thermapen®Mk4). Leg meat needs to be cooked to higher temperatures than the leaner and more delicate breast meat because it contains more connective tissue that needs time at high temps to dissolve properly."

"A probe inserted into the thermal center of a chicken breast, leg, or thigh should read 165°F (74°C) when it’s time to eat."

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    155 F for 60 seconds OR 165 F for an instant.

175 F is to break down the collagen and has nothing to do with bacteria.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    RedSkip said:
    155 F for 60 seconds OR 165 F for an instant.

175 F is to break down the collagen and has nothing to do with bacteria.

This ^^^^^
    The bacteria dies at different rates over time depending on temp.
    I pull mine in the mid 150's in the breast and let stand 5 minutes.   
    Jacksonville FL
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Regardless of what the article says, I need my chicken to have no pink and clear juices. Maybe it's conditioning, but I treat my chicken like hamburger, no pink. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    CTMike said:
    Regardless of what the article says, I need my chicken to have no pink and clear juices. Maybe it's conditioning, but I treat my chicken like hamburger, no pink. 
    After I started SV-ing meats, I tried standard store bought chix cooked still pink, but long enough that there was certainly no poisoning hazard. Didn't mind the pink, but the texture was most unpleasant. Breast meat was gooey?-slimy? just not nice. So 155 is my base line.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    The point in the article about cooking dark meat to a higher temp definitely rings true in our house. We typically will take thighs and drumsticks to 185-190 so the meat pulls nicely from the bone - it still stays moist at that temp too. I don't care for the rubber texture of dark meat at 165-175 range.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    By Fresh Proteins --who knows how long Grocery Store Proteins have hovered in the 40-140 range being warmed re cooled frozen etc...Bad food really starts there..Heck, some of the best proteins I have eaten are raw
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • These statements seem contradictory...

"...a final cooked temperature of 155°F (68°C) in chicken will only need to stay at that temperature for just under 60 seconds in order for the meat to be safe."

"The leg pictured to the right was cooked to the recommended range of 170-175°F (77-79°C) (as verified with a Thermapen®Mk4). Leg meat needs to be cooked to higher temperatures than the leaner and more delicate breast meat because it contains more connective tissue that needs time at high temps to dissolve properly."

"A probe inserted into the thermal center of a chicken breast, leg, or thigh should read 165°F (74°C) when it’s time to eat."
    That's why I cook them upside down

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Very interesting.   Thanks for the link.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Interesting. Gracias. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA