Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dove hunt and paella cook

Options
There's nothing like quality time with the family. I am blessed that I have two great children that are now done with school and fully employed (off dad's payroll). We went dove hunting together today; a nice day. We came home and made paella with chicken and some of the dove on our new kitchen. The kitchen isn't finished but it's functional. I think the pics will tell the story well enough. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,806
    Options
    For sheer all around greatness:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SGH Thanks my friend. I made a memory today that will linger for a long time to come. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,806
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I made a memory today that will linger for a long time to come. 
    That's what life is all about my friend. Good food, good times and family. It just doesn't get any better than that. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Live it.   Love it. Thanks for sharing. Great looking eats too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Definitely seal worthy.  Pealla looks perfect, nice spread.  Outdoor kitchen is coming along nicely.

Great pic of you and the kids.  Sweet side by side.  That's what it's all about my friend.  You should be proud.

Dove in paella, just awesome.  IMO, I prefer the traditional rustic wild game version over the seafood.  Seems the bold flavors pair much better.  Would love to get a hold of a rabit for this.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,139
    Options
    Looks like fun!!  Food looks tasty too!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like a fun day that ended with some great eats!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Focker said:
    Definitely seal worthy.  Pealla looks perfect, nice spread.  Outdoor kitchen is coming along nicely.

Great pic of you and the kids.  Sweet side by side.  That's what it's all about my friend.  You should be proud.

Dove in paella, just awesome.  IMO, I prefer the traditional rustic game version over the seafood.  Seems the bold flavors pair much better.  Would love to get a hold of a rabit for this.
    I have cottontail in the freezer - but not everyone likes it, so I passed this time. I cooked rabbit in the last paella we made. Like you, I really enjoy the rabbit. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Focker said:

Dove in paella, just awesome.  IMO, I prefer the traditional rustic game version over the seafood.  Seems the bold flavors pair much better.  Would love to get a hold of a rabit for this.
    I have cottontail in the freezer - but not everyone likes it, so I passed this time. I cooked rabbit in the last paella we made. Like you, I really enjoy the rabbit. 
    That's a good point.  
    Screw everybody else. J/K
    Nice post btw.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,823
    Options
    Great day and finale.  What an outdoor set-up...most eggcellent.
    Congrats on nailing the paella-a great BGE cook for sure.  Home-run all the way around.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I stand corrected.  Anything harvested and processed yourself or by friends or fam, then prepped, then egged, gets the highest honor double seal IMO.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Focker There is something nice about a "range to table" experience - especially with family and friends. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Good food, good times
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    A great day and great food.....you're living right....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    Just curious since I honestly don't know - how difficult is it to find and remove the shot from the dove breasts? Is there a tell-tale wound to inspect?
  • SciAggie
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just curious since I honestly don't know - how difficult is it to find and remove the shot from the dove breasts? Is there a tell-tale wound to inspect?
    It isn't bad. Yes, there is the hole that was left by the pellet. You just palipate the hole and feel for a hard piece of shot. There are very few pellets that remain in the birds - most penetrate fully. Out of the 36 birds we cleaned last night we only found two pieces of shot. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    There is nothing in this post that is anything short of awesome. Well played @SciAggie.  
    Snellville, GA