Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS adjustable rig options

Options
looking at making a purchase from CGS and there are just so many options and so I'm looking for opinions! I have a LBGE and a minimax. I was thinking for the minimax getting a woo with 10" plate for indirect as well as a 13" stone for baking...(maybe split stones for versatility) and for the large I'm looking at the adjustable rigs but am torn between the option of the oval grates/stone or the setup with the spider/round stone. I understand the oval setup is good for doing long meats. Is the spider still something worth adding? Or is it not necessary to have both? And is it worth it for the extender/rack? Or can I just use my standard 18" grate and lay it on top of the rig? Any advice is appreciated since it's gonna be a spendy order! I also would like to get a pizza stone for the large...is 16" too large for air flow? Thanks all. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Call Tom at CGS on Monday. He'll get you taken care of and won't sell you anything you don't need. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    There are times when I need the spider and times when I need the R&B combo. It really comes down to what you're doing the most. The R&B combo is hard to beat. Call CGS and they'll guide you 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Best thing is call and talk to Tom. Tell him what and how you cook. He will let you know what you can use.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the spider/stone set up, and I also like the extender - especially for getting a pizza stone high in the dome.
    NOLA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I got the R&B combo. I might have gotten an extra oval rack. I find the extender on top to be very useful. When I need a disposable drip pan, the pan is too tall without using the extender. So I use the extender often. Also, if doing several butts, you need the extender to fit butts at 2 different levels. With the shelf sliders, it's easy to rotate the racks for even cooking.
    I think the 16" pizza stone will work. 
    There's times I think a spider and stone would be nice to have. So far I've gotten by with just the oval stone for heat deflection.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got two oval racks with my AR for the XL along with the slider for the middle rack so I could swap racks in the middle of a cook. I also found sliding the middle rack out let's me tend what's on the bottom rack easier. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Old(er) thread, so I guess this is not really hijacking....
    Twice in the last month, I ran out of real estate on the large.

My wife said - "Load up the cart so you can do anything you want."

Here are my questions:
    I am going pick up the AR today.  Getting the R&B combo with both the additional oval and additional D grates. I am also going to get a 2nd additional Oval grate.

Question 1 - Do I have to get additional cross bars for those 2 extra grates I am going to get?

Question 2:
    Now I am thinking of getting the spider as well to do a three layer cook.
    Spider spec says:
    "Can the 14" pizza stone from Big Green Egg® be used on the Spider?  No, the 14" diameter is to big and can limit air flow."
    But in this post: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/469075/#Comment_469075, Tom says he likes to use the 14" stone.... but that is an old post. Maybe if sees this he address? @tjv If not can anyone with a recent Spider purchase check for me please?

They are closed today, and I will not be able to do this tomorrow, so I need to place to order today. Can I use the 14" stone or no?

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.