Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Burnt Ends In The Style of @SGH

Options
Rubbed with Plowboy's Yardbird rub, and smoked over peach chunks at 275 to an IT of 165. Pulled, sliced, cubed, sauced, re-rubbed, and back on the Egg to get happy for almost 2 hours.

Pork candy! 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    What's the IT you want to end up with on these?
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Winner! Winner!  Pork Burnt Ends Dinner!  Just doesn't have the same flare as Chicken but it's probably tastier. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2016
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    I never took the IT of the finished pieces. I sliced and cubed the shoulder at 165 and just eyeballed and tasted the pieces until I deemed them done. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @SmokingPiney
    My brother, I think I saw this post somewhere else ;)
    However it's one of those that I can look at again and again. For stepping up to plate and knocking it out of the park:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Looks great but to be in the style of @SGH you must inject the cubes with melted butter. ;)

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    As @SmokingPiney, said you don't really worry about IT when you do pork burnt ends.  I have done these a couple times and I also shoot for 165 to 170 IT, pull, let sit for about 20 minutes to let juices come back in.  Cube them up, sprinkle on a little more rub and sauce of choice.  Put them back on for about 2 hours and you are good to go.  My wife likes these a lot better then pulled pork so haven't done pulled pork in a long time.  I want to try this with pork belly which someone did on here.  I bet those are fantastic.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options

@Ladeback69, I think pork belly would be incredible cooked this way.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Looks good. I like Yardbird rub a lot. I assume you cubed the whole thing? Would it be quicker to cut the starting butt in 1/2 or 1/4 pieces and then smoking it to start with?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Looks good. I like Yardbird rub a lot. I assume you cubed the whole thing? Would it be quicker to cut the starting butt in 1/2 or 1/4 pieces and then smoking it to start with?

Thanks. I did cube the entire shoulder. The small shoulders I use are in a net, so I've never tried cutting them into smaller pieces for the smoke. I imagine it would cook faster cut into smaller pieces.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look great.  @Hotch posted a cook and he cubed them up from the start. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197246/rainy-day-pork-burnt-ends 

That is another option if you want to speed up cooking.  In the original recipe @SGH posted he mentioned using country style ribs from the shoulder (strips of boston butt).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Man those look great.  @Hotch posted a cook and he cubed them up from the start. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197246/rainy-day-pork-burnt-ends 

That is another option if you want to speed up cooking.  In the original recipe @SGH posted he mentioned using country style ribs from the shoulder (strips of boston butt).  
    I started out with "Country Style Ribs". They can cut from either the Butt or the Loin.
    Be careful if using the Loin Style, is will typically be both light and dark meat. Basically the Lion Style is a Pork Chop and very, very, lean!
    Not to forgiving if over cooked.
    I cooked both types a while back in Austin with Kelly and Bruce and I would much rather have the protein from the Pork Butt.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I did some recently in much the same way. Had some leftover pork tenderloin, and wondered what to do with it. Cubed to about 1 inch, soaked in BBQ sauce for a couple hours, then put on the outside of the grill at 225 for an hour. Added more wood for additional smoke. Turned over and moved to the center of the grill, raised to 325 for 45 minutes. A bit more "burnt" looking than the OP, but my wife thought they were the best she has ever had.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Anyone have a link to the original SGH cook?  I mean, I can search for it...but the guy posts A LOT.  ;)   (and it's awesome that he does)  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokingPiney
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Anyone have a link to the original SGH cook?  I mean, I can search for it...but the guy posts A LOT.  ;)   (and it's awesome that he does)  :plus_one:
    My cook is @SGH's recipe (just add your own smoke wood). It's bullet proof.  =)
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I'm looking for that post also, just found butts on sale to experiment with. To cube or not to cube(from the start)? That is the question
    Austin, Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I posted the thread on the Smoke Ring about 2 years ago. I shared the technique here on the forum on someone's thread. However I do not remember who's thread that it was. I'm wanting to say I posted it on one of Hotchs threads. But I could be wrong. The only difference in my method and the above method is I inject the cubes with Land O Lakes butter before putting them back on the smoker. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    @SGH...well, I guess you just have to make them again!  

A butter injection?  :open_mouth::ohstop:  I don't think that's even legal...   Wow.  They must really taste like pork candy.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • bgeaddikt
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Here goes my attempt
    No problem getting up to temp on MM. Stock grate, wish i had KAB. 3 Chunks of applewood with a water pan spaced by aluminum foil balls to prevent burning of the fatty goodness. I also scored the fat side and slapped the butt on the grill fat side down. Will pull when bark is lookin crisp and then cubed/sauced
    Austin, Tx
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @SGH I tried the butter injection on a few. My technique was wrong I guess. I started with warm butter and every time time I did the inject it solidified! So you need to be quick with the butter. I picked up 4 lbs. of county style ribs and plan to do a few more this weekend. I may inject with butter and other stuff. I have some Tabasco Honey I might try.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bgeaddikt
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just chopped it up, pulled at 170, a little too late from where i wanted to pull it originally. Sauced with Sweet Baby Rays. Then back on for a few more hours

Austin, Tx
  • SmokingPiney
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No offense all, but this thread hijack somewhat amuses me............... ;)

If I would have foreseen this, I probably would not have posted this. 

I have learned a lesson with this post: I will not post cook pics here any more.

They just get hijacked or ignored.

It all still eats good to me and my circle, so..................no biggie           
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

I would consider it an honor to have other compare their cook to mine.  that's just me.

I've got the country ribs smoking right now....  Might post it later on.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!