Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not to hijack the wood thread...so?

Options
What brand of wood do you buy? I've only ever bought western, which I don't mind at all. I bought some apple wood from Home Depot that just sucked. On firecraft I notice there is some other brand 20lb approximately for 19.95 but has 0 reviews. 
  I have also thought about just buying apple from our big apple orchard producers locally. Problem on that is storage =)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The woods I buy are the Jack Daniels chunks or chips and Cherry chunks.  I have a local supplier (free for the taking) of pecan, hickory, plum, and and a new found supply of beech.   If you can get apple, go for it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I cut my own. If you can get it from a local orchard that would be you best bet.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Weber brand - bought some locally cut peach wood from Hawgeyes and loved it. If you can get local get that. My parents have 4 apple trees really looking forward to the pruning!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I have trouble tasting the difference  between different species of wood; wrt different brands, I would just go with best weight/price ratio (hopefully free from nearby orchards).  
    To the OP, have you tried apple from other sources?  Maybe you just don't like apple smoke.   :|

Now I'm thinking other questions:
    1) What tastes better, green pecan wood (cut that afternoon) or pecan aged for two years?
    2) If we have to let our LUMP burn for 30 minutes to get rid of the bad volatiles, wouldn't raw wood take even longer?  
    3) Most of us die before answering all the questions, right?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Cut my own pecan and publix brand apple and cherry chunks, can't beat $3ish a bag for what costs 2-3 times as much at Home Depot. The strange part is publix isn't typically cheap.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got a sweet deal here locally for mixed smoke wood at $130.00. Dang great wood too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There's a big difference in smoking woods.  I use fruita wood, www.fruitawood.com, and have been very satisfied.  They have one option called U Pick 'Em where you can choose 4 different woods (I like Red Oak, Peach, Pecan, and Cherry).  You can specify how much of each - 50lbs for $91w/free shipping. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    fruitawood.com

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Joe's BBQ wood here in Georgia is great.  @DoubleEgger turned me on to this and either @SmokeyPitt or @Carolina Q posted it here.  Good stuff including grapevine.  Love the stuff!  White oak, hickory, fruit woods etc...  I have all the pecan I need.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Also check Craigslist for your area.  I have found pecan and cherry there for free or very cheap.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Also check Craigslist for your area.  I have found pecan and cherry there for free or very cheap.
    That's how I found the apple wood!