Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

searing inferno

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,518
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
Finally got to play with the bottomless wok I made last month...
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197630/repurposed-wok

After cooking curry at 350F indirect, I removed the platesetter, added some lump and slapped the bottomless wok on the fire. Didn't take long to register this with the concentrated direct flame.

Had a close call first time I opened it .... every time I opened even after burping, intense flame would jump into the dome! 

Threw some marinated butt chunks around the volcano... 
(Really like this marinade recipe: http://www.recipetineats.com/asian-marinated-chicken/   )

Didn't take long to be ready for the char...

Sample slices for topping mango cucumber salad. Lots of leftover for today!

This setup is insane for searing, can't wait to try double wokking!

Don't throw away your old wok if you have one!
canuckland

Comments

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    That is so cool that I may go out and buy an inexpensive wok just to make one of these.  I just purchased a 19 inch wok and CGS Woo2 for my XL and have been thinking about having the fire just centered under the wok.  Just the other day I took the KickAsh out of my Med and set it in the center of my XL empty KA basket so I could concentrate the fire to season my new wok.  Thanks for posting this, lots of food for thought.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Sonny3 glad to share and thanks for the compliments.  For your reference, the above was done in the Large, the wok's rim is 14.5" diameter. Since you don't have a Large, you may want to get a larger one strictly for the XL, a flat   bottom one will be easier to cut.

I also plan to try a whole upright or upside down chicken sitting in the middle of lump grate, surrounded by circular wall of lump in the XL as shown below.   p.s. if you get a larger wok, the wall may be too thin?

Have fun with it, would love to see what you come up with.

canuckland
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jet engine afterburner for the Egg. That's pretty awesome!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    FWIW, that 450 number is irrelevant.  you are way over 450.  that's just the incidental dome temp.

you are more like 1000+ (easily) right over that caldera of flame and lump

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Very cool!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw - Agree with your great point about 1000+ at the epicentre.  The dome temp merely served as a quick reference for indirect cook temp around the perimeter; and to make sure it doesn't wrap around and crack the egg  =)  
    I'm thinking the 450 is probably inflated due to the concentrated heat below it. Would be interesting to stick an oven thermometer on the grid near the gasket and compare.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a neat gizmo for setting up 2-zone cooks. I like this more than the usual method of setting up indirect cooks with a heat deflector in the center.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like it. Looks like a Vortex. http://www.owensbbq.com/vortex.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Options
    Previously I slapped it on an established 350 fire and got instant inferno.

Used it again last night. Starting cold, I lit the lump in the middle only. Came up to 300-350 in about 20 minutes and ready for indirect cook, no leaping flame yet. When pork hit 125'ish flame started emerging and ready for searing. I can reverse sear without switching eggcessories, time to sell the Small CI 
    grid!

The flame shoots up only when lid is open, the right time for searing and wokking.

@caliking - It cooks indirect faster than with Conveggtor, could be the proximity to fire and the abundant IR/radiant heat.

@Carolina Q - It's the poor man's version!

canuckland