Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The San Juan Islands....celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary......long (Picture heavy)

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
First let me express my appreciation to Mark @Sea2Ski for his support / guidance on planning our anniversary get away (boating trip) to the San Juan Islands. His knowledge of the area, past trip experiences and overall boating knowledge was invaluable to our planning. Thanks again Mark for all your assistance. Now some details....

Wife (lets call her Pattie) and I are setting out from Seattle on a 37 footer up to the Islands. For those interested, I have chronicled our trip (well not everything). 

A few details before we get started. SRF order as we prepared most meals on the boat. Cowboy rib-eye scheduled for the actual anniversary  dinner. Order sent to a friend in Seattle, a few of these items will be for him as a thank you for the transfer. For the record....nothing was left, all was consumed. 

Our boat. She was very comfortable and the back deck was an outstanding place for eating / beverage intake. 

Notice the flowers and candle guys.....It was a major deposit into the wife's emotional bank account.

I was somewhat limited on my cooking device....however, with the SRF beef....there were no complaints among the two of us. We were happy to be able to grill while at sea.....so all smiles for sure.

Our trip started out on a bit of a rocky start. After 8 long house of navigating from Seattle up to Cap Sante Marina (close to the SJI's, we had a small incident with the wind taking us into another boat while docking. No damage to our boat...some minor damage to a neighbors anchor. (Que up Rodney Dangerfield....ha your boat scratched my anchor). No big deal really, and good to get any ugly out of the way early. The next day we headed up to Sucia Island. Getting in around 4:00 PM, we were lucky to find a killa spot to anchor in Echo Bay.

The other end of the water canyon we were anchored in.

We cooked up some delicious pork chops for dinner. Also grilled some corn...which was probably the best I have had this summer.

We moved on to Stuart Island next....where we spent our second and third night on the hook (as they say).....in a beautiful cove. The following morning we got up and headed south towards San Juan Island (Roach Harbor). Before departing, we witnessed a seal catch a about a 15 inch fish....and watched him (or her) consume it over several minutes. It was some of natures best I tell you....though a bit gory I will say. 

We celebrated our 30th anniversary sharing a Cowboy Rib-eye.....that was outstanding. 
Captain Robin at the helm and seeking a slip assignment.
We spend several nights in Roach Harbor which the wife needed to get her feet back on some ground....and get some exercise.

We experienced some awesome sunsets...and had a great view of the Roach Harbor nightly ritual of lowering the colors and the obligatory horn blowing from all the boats. While on San Juan Island, we rented mopeds and toured the area....stopping by the Lavender Farm (which cost my wallet significantly). Notice our Hogs in the bottom of the picture.

Well back to Roach Harbor....with some beautiful scenery along the way. 
.......the next morning we took a South westerly rout around San Juan Island is search of Whales. Unfortunately, we did not spot any....and ended up in the Decatur Island area....where we spent a couple of nights on the hook again. 
Our backyard looked like this.

....and dinner one night were these bacon wrapped filets. The rib was left from the cowboy rib-eye earlier in the week.

The sunsets here did not suck either.
Did a little crabbing....
We spend our last night in a marina in the small tourist town of La Connor, where I busted my rear end missing a step and went for a tumble. Sorry, no pictures.....and I wish it didn't happen....but still have scabs to prove it....also worked it a bit for some sympathy from the wife.....sorry no pictures here either.

What I will share and leave you with is a picture my wife took on our anniversary of me. The stern of the boat was a bit unbalanced at the time....and perhaps some imbibing might have played into it as well. I guess you have to laugh at yourself sometimes.

Thanks for lookin at our anniversary trip.

There was much left unseen in the San Juan Islands....and plan to go back at some point in the future.....If I can ever assist you with planning a trip to the San Juan Islands....please reach out to me. What a great adventure this was....and could be for you as well. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Robin, absolutely outstanding trip recount!  Stunning pictures, amazing food for sure and some good humor.  Thanks for sharing!  What a great celebration trip!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Awesome pics!!  Glad y'all had a great time!!  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I was sure you'd only have half a vacation. Looks like she had mercy. Great post
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dang nice Robin!  I think you have secured your spot on the team for another 2-3 years I'm thinking.  

You know, next time you should really get someone that can work the camera to document the trip nicely next time.  I know a guy who could help out.  He's not a big eater and doesn't need much.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks like you had a great trip in every way! Again, congratulations on your 30th!
    This type of vacation is not for everyone, but if you up for a totally different experience, like the water, are slightly familiar with boats, want downtime, and be "off the grid" if you choose to be this is perfect!   I agree that the back deck on that vessel is the perfect place to have a meal, beverage and view all at the same time. And by the looks of your pictures, you certainly had all three!

Till the next time Captain...

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Robin, absolutely outstanding trip recount!  Stunning pictures, amazing food for sure and some good humor.  Thanks for sharing!  What a great celebration trip!
    Thanks Brent......was totally disconnected. Did not realize the flooding issues were occurring. I had had enough of the politics in the news and at work. We needed it and achieved much joy!

• northGAcock
    Options
    Dang nice Robin!  I think you have secured your spot on the team for another 2-3 years I'm thinking.  

You know, next time you should really get someone that can work the camera to document the trip nicely next time.  I know a guy who could help out.  He's not a big eater and doesn't need much.  
    Matt, let me get this straight....you would have wanted to take pictures of us on our 30th anniversary trip? Nothing personal buddy.....but that boat was not big enough for any stowaways.....could have used a good cook though.....and I can't post all of the pictures..... ;) Just kidding of course...we had a blast and would be fun to do with another couple. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    I was sure you'd only have half a vacation. Looks like she had mercy. Great post
    ....and you wonder why you have to sleep in the garage.

• northGAcock
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looks like you had a great trip in every way! Again, congratulations on your 30th!
    This type of vacation is not for everyone, but if you up for a totally different experience, like the water, are slightly familiar with boats, want downtime, and be "off the grid" if you choose to be this is perfect!   I agree that the back deck on that vessel is the perfect place to have a meal, beverage and view all at the same time. And by the looks of your pictures, you certainly had all three!

Till the next time Captain...

Mark......just let me say this about all the assistance you provided.
    Will call you soon.

• northGAcock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Awesome pics!!  Glad y'all had a great time!!  
    You know I feel bad about having a great time while you were home packing and moving. :o

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Very very cool Robin! I was hoping you'd post some photos. Glad yall had a great time and made it back safely. #AARPforthewin
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great trip and documentation.  You definitely did your voyage planning.  Congrats on the big 30!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice trip. Going to try to get out of this Texas weather in a couple of weeks heading up there. Do once more lots of the drivable islands and take a ferry over to the gardens in Victoria and back. 
    Just found a place to stash a gun for the Canada part so as not to end up in jail. Those in Canada are not kidding on having a pistol in the console (but then Calf, Or, nor WA is unless locked up. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    ....and you wonder why you have to sleep in the garage.
    I prefer the term gamping
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looks like an awesome time! Great post. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Congrats to the two of you!  Looks like a fantastic trip :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    WOW !!!! What an awesome post and detailed account of what looks like a trip of a lifetime... Thanks for sharing Robin..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Very very cool Robin! I was hoping you'd post some photos. Glad yall had a great time and made it back safely. #AARPforthewin
    AARP? I got my eye on you J.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Awesome vacation! Glad the two of you enjoyed it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• northGAcock
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Very nice trip. Going to try to get out of this Texas weather in a couple of weeks heading up there. Do once more lots of the drivable islands and take a ferry over to the gardens in Victoria and back. 
    Just found a place to stash a gun for the Canada part so as not to end up in jail. Those in Canada are not kidding on having a pistol in the console (but then Calf, Or, nor WA is unless locked up. 
    All the best to you on your journey. We got our of there just in time. They had a heat wave coming through. Lord have mercy....like you, we have had enough of the heat this summer....they provided us with a refreshing temperature in which to live while there. Great sleeping.

• northGAcock
    Options
    @Mickey, @lousubcap, @shtgunal3, @NorthPilot06, @johnmitchell @jabam Thanks so much for your comments. This was a trip of a lifetime....and hope it want be my last. Interested in doing something on the east cost inland waterways. This opens up so many opportunities. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mickey, @lousubcap, @shtgunal3, @NorthPilot06, @johnmitchell @jabam Thanks so much for your comments. This was a trip of a lifetime....and hope it want be my last. Interested in doing something on the east cost inland waterways. This opens up so many opportunities. 
    Just got back from Maine and well worth it. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I suppose, if you got to be on a boat, and you got SRF sending you stuff, and you are in the San Juan Islands, with your beautiful wife, you have to do something to make it worth the trip. 
    I so freaking envy you dude. You are a Rock Star!!! 
    Thank you for sharing. BEAUTIFUL TRIP!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I suppose, if you got to be on a boat, and you got SRF sending you stuff, and you are in the San Juan Islands, with your beautiful wife, you have to do something to make it worth the trip. 
    Just trying to be like you Ron.....

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Just trying to be like you Ron.....
    Be or be not, there is no try.

The San Juans were beautiful, thank you for sharing those awesome images. Suzy loves to travel, and she has not been to the NW. I am planning to get her up there sometime soon. I don't know a more beautiful section of any other place on earth than the Northwest of the USA.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but nobody ever goes there and not come back without wishing they lived there.

You are a good man Robin. a perfect way to enjoy and celebrate your 30th anniversary.

Then you are bringing her to our home in Louisville. I will apologize in advance.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Ron, that lady lives with me.....trust me....you have nothing to apologize for. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Nice trip sir. Did you have prior experience navigating a boat of that size? 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Nice trip sir. Did you have prior experience navigating a boat of that size? 
    No not really. I did take a 4 hour instruction course in Charleston about 3 weeks before the voyage. I was on a 45 foot Catamaran....which was very different....and yet similar in many ways. I did have a guy ride up from Seattle to Cap Sante (just across the straight from the Islands) with us on the first day just to make sure I was comfortable with the navigation and the boat. Was a good plan I think. Became very comfortable within after the first 24 hours.

• stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Beautiful pictures and thanks for sharing.  Really enjoyed them.  We were close by as I understand it.  Went on an Alaskan cruise and spent last night in Victoria British Columbia.  That city was gorgeous and the SJ islands were right across the bay. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    What a great trip!  Thanks for sharing the cooks and the adventure!
    LBGE/Maryland