Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st SRF sale cook (long and pic heavy)

Options
Daughter  home briefly before back to college for her senior year, so I made her favorite dinner:  filet (1st ever SRF purchase, 8 oz RR prime) roasted potatoes with chives and Parmesan, broccoli with soy, browned onions, and sunflower seeds.  SRF RR 8 oz filets

Just sea salt before cooking. Indirect @ 250 until 115 IT

Seared at 600+ to 130 IT and then let rest while finishing the sides 

best filet I've ever made, worth every penny!  Served with a great Spaniah red from Duero Del Ribera
Doug
Wayne, PA
LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Good meat is always worth the cost. Nice meal. I wish your daughter good luck at school. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Nice cook!!  That cook is money!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Very nice! Those filets look great. And the sides also look delicious. How do you make the broccoli?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Looks fantastic!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Thanks all!  @blind99, the broccoli recipe is from "Gourmet, In Short Order"

Broccoli with Sunflower aeeds
    2 Tbs shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds
    2 TBS olive oil
    1/4 cup minced onion (I use 1/3)
    4 cups broccoli flowerets (I cut small)
    1 Tbs soy sauce
    2 Tbs water

in a heavy skillet sauté the sunflower seeds in the oil over moderately high heat, stirring, until they are golden and drain them on paper towels (these move fast at the end, I've burned a few batches). In the oil remaining in the skillet sauté the onion over moderately high heat until it is browned, add the broccoli and toss it to coat with the oil. Add the soy sauce and water and cook the broccoli, covered, over moderately low heat for 3 minutes or until the broccoli is tender and the liquid is evaporated. Transfer broccoli to a heated serving dish and sprinkle it with the sunflower seeds.
    Serves 2
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Very nice, so glad it all turned out for you
  • da87
    Options
    Thanks @SRFShane.  I sent you a PM (actually 2) via the forum either late Friday or early Saturday.  Just checking that they reached you.  For your enjoyment, here's my garage freezer after the 1st order was received.  I'll send another once the balance comes.  Thanks and Happy Monday!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    da87 said:
    Thanks @SRFShane.  I sent you a PM (actually 2) via the forum either late Friday or early Saturday.  Just checking that they reached you.  For your enjoyment, here's my garage freezer after the 1st order was received.  I'll send another once the balance comes.  Thanks and Happy Monday!
    Hey Doug - just saw it, replied! 
  • da87
    Options
    Thank you for the response @SRFShane.  FWIW I am a first time customer, and for the forum members all I can say is my customer service experience and first tastes have both been outstanding.
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Well done @da87 - looks great!  Good luck to your daughter in her final year of college
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    SRF IG gets me mad. . Makes me want to spend too much $$ haha 
  • Slabotnick
    Slabotnick Posts: 215
    Options
    Great reverse seared filet at home makes me hate steakhouses that I used to love. This is a great looking dinner. I'm sure the family loved it, and that it was worth every dollar spent! Good memories with family are priceless. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice job on the steaks. SRF is a winner when it comes to quality from my experience. Congrats on getting her to her senior year and all you've accomplished as a parent.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You had me at SRF. Great meal and beautiful presentation. Thank you for sharing the recipe for the broccoli. You have Honored Chef Status.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • da87
    Options
    Thank you @YukonRon, coming from one of the regulars - and repeat poster of amazing meals, despite kitchen construction and MIL - is a true honor. Thank you and I hope your MIL is getting better. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA