Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tile top?

I have an XL in a cypress egg table.  The top needs to be replaced.  Was thinking granite but am trying to save a few bucks....  Anyone tile their table top?  Looking for advice on what to do/not do....  I have leftover 12x12 ceramic tiles from a bathroom remodel that I was gonna use so I guess if it doesn't work out I'm not out that much.  Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• I had a buddy do his like this...then he cracked a tile next to the Egg and had to replace. I wasn't there when he ruled it so I don't know if it had to do with the large tile, heat during cook, if he dropped something hard, adhering agent, etc. 

it looks sharp.  He did do large tile and 1/32 grout lines...I would go with a larger grout line and medium tiles. maybe a non symmetrical pattern so if one breaks and you have to replace it you could pop a few and it not drive you crazy every time you see the imperfection. 

My outdoor table is tile and I love it. I thought about doing mine to match but I'm going stainless. Tennessee weather and minimal cover has my hands tied. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have a friend who had collected odd remnant pieces of tile, different colors, and sizes, and cut them (broke them?) into smaller pieces for a table he had built. He turned it into a mosaic which appeared to be similar to a starry night. Obviously it was an interesting work of art, but he told me, by doing it this way, he was unconcerned with cracking of the tiles, because, the smaller the piece, the less likely it was to crack. I would not have the skill and vision, to pull something such as this project off in my free time. But, if anything, from a guy that has worked with tile for many years, I took his advise on areas, with a lot of contact, to go smaller in size for extended durability.
    Hope this adds help. Sorry for the long story.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thanks guys!   Appreciate the advice.  
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354

Tiles work well. This is my table with two large floor tiles recessed into the table so the top is flush. I put hot stuff on them all the time. Cracked one, but just kept going. I think the crack adds character 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Here is one that was done
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Isn't @henapple's table tiled??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    The egg table I built was my first attempt at tiling.  Let me tell you, the kitchen turned out much better for practicing on my table.  

I struggled with the edge tiles staying on as you can see in front of the egg.  I am planning to remove the remaining edge tiles, grind down any remaining grout and replace with wood.

Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • Thanks for the pics guys!   Any special grout needed?   Planning on using 3/4 treated plywood for tile base.   Sound right?