Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chiminea

I haven't posted in years, but still read the site a lot.  Several months ago I was at a local auction in Augusta, GA and bought a practically new BGE chiminea for $75.  Perfect condition.  I have only used it a few times.  I was wondering if anyone else has one.
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

Comments

• Ha, this is awesome. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @Jeremiah tough luck. Gotta start hitting auctions buddy. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,199
    edited August 2016
    The chiminea is considered the Honus Wagner of Big Green Egg related stuff. Well maybe the blue Big Green Egg is the Honus Wagner of eggs but a good condition chiminea is the Mickey Mantle rookie card. They don't come around for sale often but when they do they'll always be a buyer. Nice pick up!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    You've gotta be kidding me. I freaking give up. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • I have been going to auctions in the Augusta area for years and never saw anything BGE until this came up.  I was offered a pretty good sum for it by a guy in North GA.  I seriously thought about it.  Like I said, I have only used it 3 times.  It's nice.  I didn't realize they were anything special until then.  Guess I got lucky.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,219
    @Jeremiah will buy it from you for $150.  
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Way to rub it in guy. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dyal_SC said:
    I give you 5 minutes until someone comes by telling you it's too much because no warranty  ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• EGoldstein
    EGoldstein Posts: 34
    edited August 2016
    Dyal_SC said:
    I might trade for a small or mini-max.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Man, they are elusive but pop up randomly.
    Austin, Tx
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I totally owe @Jeremiah an apology. Because this thread made me laugh out loud at his expense...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    WeberWho said:
    The chiminea is considered the Honus Wagner of Big Green Egg related stuff. Well maybe the blue Big Green Egg is the Honus Wagner of eggs but a good condition chiminea is the Mickey Mantle rookie card. They don't come around for sale often but when they do they'll always be a buyer. Nice pick up!
    Blue Big Green Egg? They made a blue one? 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited August 2016
    Dyal_SC said:
    I might trade for a small or mini-max.
    If I were still in Augusta I'd prolly make that trade. I can always get another MM. I didn't even know they made these. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @EGoldstein if you're seriously willing to part with it pm me your price. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,954
    yljkt said:

Yes - but ever so briefly. Used to be an infrequent poster here who had one.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    RRP said:
    yljkt said:

Yes - but ever so briefly. Used to be an infrequent poster here who had one.
    Yep I believe it is @fiver29
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,954
    Hotch said:

yes! Look at his profile - Put fiver29 in the search box and when you see one of his posts click on it and then go to his profile picture - and no that was not photoshopped - his egg is blue!

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Just click the @fiver29 brings your write to his profile pic, pretty cool egg.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    That's pretty cool. Never seen a blue one. Grill Dome but not BGE. 
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    RRP said:
    Hotch said:

yes! Look at his profile - Put fiver29 in the search box and when you see one of his posts click on it and then go to his profile picture - and no that was not photoshopped - his egg is blue!

That picture is from the mothership "museum", no? Did @fiver29 donate it?
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Here is my picture from the mothership

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    NCSmoky said:

Someone posted a picture here from the mothership.  Might have been you.  I made it my avatar.  Hope that's ok!  Makes things easy for me.  Years ago people would give me lots of grief for posting pics with a blue egg in it.  Saying it wasn't a real egg, etc.  I bought it in Florida.  Around 1999/2000 timeframe.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,199
    fiver29 said:
    NCSmoky said:

Someone posted a picture here from the mothership.  Might have been you.  I made it my avatar.  Hope that's ok!  Makes things easy for me.  Years ago people would give me lots of grief for posting pics with a blue egg in it.  Saying it wasn't a real egg, etc.  I bought it in Florida.  Around 1999/2000 timeframe.  
    @fiver29 Have you ever had any warranty work done with the base/dome? It would be interesting to hear how they would handle a blue warranty claim. I wonder if they have spare blue parts laying around or if they would give you a green colored replacement part and say you are on your own making it blue. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Looks like you have the largest size.  They made smaller

i have one like yours

came with a cooking grid for the top (when you remove the chimney)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Looks like you have the largest size.  They made smaller

i have one like yours

I understood they only made the one size of the chiminea. In my search for one that is all I found.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • It's almost chiminea time of year!  
    Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Good find at that price. OTT I Don't see the intrigue. Especially if buying it new. 500 bones right?  I'd use a burn barrel first before I paid that much for something I'd get little use from. 
    $25 new with a lid and spring securing clasp. No lifetime warranty :wink:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch said:
    Looks like you have the largest size.  They made smaller

i have one like yours

I understood they only made the one size of the chiminea. In my search for one that is all I found.
    They made a small and a large. I actually think now I may have a small. 

Wife got it shipped free on clearance for about $150? Was maybe ten years ago. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• EGoldstein
    EGoldstein Posts: 34
    edited September 2016
    I sold my chiminea above to a guy who drove over 2 hours for it.  He paid what I asked for it and yesterday I got a MiniMax to take its place.  I will miss the chiminea a little, but I hardly used it.  I will use the MiniMax a lot.  Plus it went to a good home.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I Don't see the intrigue.
    ^^^ This. And I suspect we're not alone. Why else would they have discontinued them?

You shouldn't be out there anyway. Grilling season is over tomorrow, isn't it? :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut